Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine it being similar to parts of Alaska or Antarctica. It's very cold, but there is a lot of bare ground and some vegetation. Even with few plants, there are some pretty large animals in those places. (Even the Mastodon and Mammoth survived during the ice age, which was a much more unforgiving time.)

B.J.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be that life on Andor/ia evolved in a climate similar to Earth, but Andor/ia entered an ice age recently (geologically speaking) and Andorians adapted to the conditions.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren't, of course, any large animals on Antarctica, or, indeed, in the interior, any animals at all.

Shran said that the part of the planet (moon?) he was from was so fortunate as to climb above 0 C every few years.

I'm no climatologist, but if the entire planet was iced over you'd be looking at a Snowball Earth (Snowball Andoria, I guess) scenerio. But note that no complex multicellular life had to survive through that here, since none existed yet.

Andorians seem perfectly comfortable in the temperature ranges prefered by humans and even by Vulcans. So I guess that whatever the overall climate on Andoria, there have to be large warm regions or lengthy periods of warmer weather, generated one way or another.

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Why would the Ticonderoga be mentioned in the end credits?

I run a Star Trek fan club called the USS Ticonderoga. We helped donate to many past advertisements for The Enterprise Project. A reward was our name (with several other actor fan clubs) was placed on several of the ads. This ad actually resulted in a Paramount employee working on the show who contacted us to say thanks for supporitng the show. As it turns out she use to live in our neck of the woods. After the episode first ran on Friday the end credits were extreemly squished so UPN could run promos. One of my crewmembers thought he had seen a thank you in there. We've had a chance to review the credits again (I didn't have my VCR set up at the time) and discovered that there was no reference to the Ticonderoga in the end credits. Sunday's viewing had normal credits at the end of the episode.

I posted the question here just minutes after getting the call from the person who thought they saw a thank you. I know that there are a lot of people on this forum who go over Treknology with a fine tooth comb. I figured if anyone else had noticed it, it would be someone here.

--------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://Captain.USSTiconderoga.org

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
There aren't, of course, any large animals on Antarctica, or, indeed, in the interior, any animals at all.

These guys would take exception to that [Wink]
Actually, who knows...maybe they aren't even native to the planet but colonised it long ago.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Andorians seem perfectly comfortable in the temperature ranges prefered by humans and even by Vulcans."

Beyond that, even. Shran said he was somewhere in near-100°C temperatures for weeks, and all he did was lose half his body weight.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of the ice age happening really recently, say within the last several hundred years.

If a major ice age hit Earth now, for example, there'd be more of a chance we'd survive because we have the technology and tools to deal with it and adapt.

Now, if the ice age hit 10,000 years ago and continued to last until now, I think we'd be in a lot worse shape

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Andorians seem perfectly comfortable in the temperature ranges prefered by humans and even by Vulcans."

Beyond that, even. Shran said he was somewhere in near-100°C temperatures for weeks, and all he did was lose half his body weight.

Hmmmm... he said something about "temperatures barely below the boiling point of water" or such, but he didn't say under which atmospheric conditions (pressure is important!), and didn't give an exact temperature reading.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm tempted to nixpick Tim for his wayard minus symbol there, but it wouldn't really be a nixpick since that symobl actually changes the sentence fundamentally, unlike most of his anal attacks.

And the pressure might be important, but it would still produce atmospheric conditions rather outside what humans would be able to live in.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed the hyphen was potentially confusing, but I left it in. It didn't seem like it would work without it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shran said that he was in near 100�C temperatures for weeks."

Seems to work fine, Nix.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I disagree, Kavanagh.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gentlemen will have to settle this over a game of baccarat.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strip baccarat.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE ANDORIANS PLAY CHESS TO KEEP WARM!!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps