Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifteen yard penalty, Monkey of Mim. Go hit the bench for this quarter.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing: while I realize that communciation delays have never ever been anything other than an occasional plot device, I would have liked at least some mention of bandwidth and/or delay problems with the Romulan setup. Though I guess we can infer that they, along with the cryptological difficulties exploited by the Enterprise crew, exist, since the Romulans don't appear to aggressively pursue the technology. (Their warships in the future all have crews. Or do they?)

I don't mind that it wasn't used, since it was one of the more forgettable parts of a largely forgettable film, but could they have used Remans? Their telepathic powers, alas, seem pretty powerful.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you, Sol. There should have been a big lag going on with remotely controlling a starship that far away from Romulus. I would have rather like to have seen the control interface, the Aenar, and the Romulan officers on board a cloaked ship (maybe the ones from "Minefield"?) following the WarFlea. After all, we never heard mention of Enterprise tracing the communications frequency, so it's likely the Romulans would have remained undiscovered.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was assuming that it would be revealed that the Aenar's telepathic skills would have some bearing on any comms lag. . . The ep didn't make any inroads on that, however, beyond assuming that telepathic people could handle the interface better. They didn't explain in what way, though, or how the set-up actually worked - was it a direct-neural jobby, or merely a fancy VR rig?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose anyone was trying to make parallels between Andoria and its apparent inspiration as a moon of a ringed gas giant, in light of the fun we've been having on Titan recently...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kind of weird that Andoria is a moon, though. Like, I am surprised they were let into the United Federation of Planets, instead of being politely shunted off to, say, the League of Moons, which I imagine as being a bit like the Chicago Cubs or the Ottoman Empire or something. You know, you admire them just for showing up.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*LAUGHS* The League of Moons *LAUGHS* - I love that... CLASSIC! heheheheheheh.

I wonder then if there is The Association of Planetessimals.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps