Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet Outclassed (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Starfleet Outclassed
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, I find Starfleet is a little slow to change. While they may develope new and exciting ship designs, their ships never really stood out for anything else because they were equipped with the same weapons Starfleet has been using for nearly 2 or 3 centuries (beam-phasers and photons). The only reason they came up with new weapons
(pulse-phasers, ablative armor, quantum torpedoes)was because of great threats like the Borg and the Dominion. If they hadn't come along, Starfleet probably wouldn't have thought of those technologies (or if they had thought of them, probably wouldn't implement them).

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course they now have the uber-Batmobile armor! [Roll Eyes]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think its kinda sad when you have get your new technology from a future version of yourself who hangs around a dark alley wearing a trench and saying "Hey you want some Borg-Cube blasting torpedoes? Their half price."
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow they should state that all that "future bullshit technology" self-destructed after 48 hours (because Future Janeway wanted to minimize fucking up the timeline).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Either that or Lt. Daniels managed to retrieve it.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was probably Captain Braxton more than Lt. Daniels. Daniels lusted for Archer's hot body; Braxton had the obsession with getting all up in Janeway's bun.

I'm with Jason. I would have preferred something in "Endgame" to say that the future technology and all records related to it were removed after use. Unfortunately, those new weapons were used against the Borg. They're probably studying the sensor logs from the battles that tech was used instead of going out and getting laid. Starfleet's going to have to dissect and build upon the future tech in order to stay up with the Borg.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Daniels lusted for Archer's hot body
I'm sure he wouldn't want you to reveal that info to the general public.

quote:
Braxton had the obsession with getting all up in Janeway's bun
I believe the correct ghetto term is "He wanted to get all up in her grill" unless by bun you are referring to her hairstyle in the early days of Voyager or her bottom.

Anyways...The episode "Endgame" gave me the impression the Borg were all destroyed or made so weak they could never achieve their greatness again. So in the end, that uber tech would only be known to Starfleet, the Borg (if they still exist), God, and maybe Buddha.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was referring to Janeway's infamous hairstyle.

I didn't get the impression that the Borg were completely done for. Janeway did take out the Queen, yes, but so has Picard. Janeway delivered a virus into the Borg Collection, but I think they did the same thing in an earlier episode. After the episode ended, it still felt like the Borg are out there and still a threat. Albeit, a threat that once again had its ass handed to itself.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg was just crippled. They will eventually rebuild what they lost and some day the Borg Queen will show herself again.

It's not like Starfleet is the only ones that are slow. Look at the Klingons... they use the same designs for the past 200 years.

The Romulans appear to use only Warbirds. Now I am guessing that someone will say this actually smart, but it's not. Building a few hundred large ships with only a few purposes in life as opposed to building a large multi-thousand fleet with a well rounded out fleet. I'm sure in times of war, all you would want is a large fleet of Defiants, Galaxys, Akiras and Sovereigns. Everyone would want that sort of fleet, but you have to look at it this way:

Before 2365 or even 2370, what was Starfleet doing? They were exploring because the only threats was from the Romulans who rarely show themsevles, the Klingons were their allies, the Cardassians have ships mostly inferior to Starfleet's and they have a treaty, and the Borg only send one ship. So why build a large fleet of warships that would be useless in peacetime?

Like I said before, the Excelsior and the Miranda classes especially the ones we have seen in the war, are actually somewhat newer. I highly doubt that the 42xxx range Excelsiors are crabon copies of the USS Excelsior herself. Hell, I am willing to bet that the interior and the technology of the Excelsior looks nothing like what we saw her in ST6 (that's if she's the same Excelsior).

Afterall, the Lakota was upgraded and she came close to finishing off the Defiant. That's impressive since not even an entire fleet of Dominion ships were able to accomplish.

No, the Iowa class are not obsolete. They are just useless nowadays. When's the last time you saw two ships duking it out with guns or even missiles? Even for shore bombardment, do you really need a million dollar a day battleship doing what two smaller and cheaper ships can do? Did the navy really need those 16" guns?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, that's basically the definition of "obsolete."
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO obsolete: just not remotely cost-effective.

Good observations on the Excelsior class though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
And of course they now have the uber-Batmobile armor! [Roll Eyes]

It's an anti-theft system for starships...which sounds really dumb untill you realize that every featured starship on trek has been stolen at least once.

Okay, not the "E" but if they could have crammed it into Nemesis, they would have).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Okay, not the "E" but if they could have crammed it into Nemesis, they would have).

Well, the Borg came pretty damn close in First Contact.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, the Iowa class are not obsolete. They are just useless nowadays. When's the last time you saw two ships duking it out with guns or even missiles? Even for shore bombardment, do you really need a million dollar a day battleship doing what two smaller and cheaper ships can do? Did the navy really need those 16" guns?
Well, leaving aside the liklihood of missiles being used as the primary ship to ship weapon in any future fleet engagement (assuming air launched ones don't finish them all off first), the primary purpose of the Iowas is shore bombardment, which does need missiles. The guns are of less use but can still be very effective; during Vietnam, the guns destroyed a number of targets that aerial bombardment had been unable to destroy. Still, that doesn't mean they couldn't have just mounted them in monitors. Basically they're for impressing the natives.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Admiral Thrawn:
starfleet obviously knows most of its ships are useless, thats why whenever there's a first contact with a hostile race they wait for a Galaxy to arrive before doing anything. They sent the Enterprise to the Neutral Zone when the Romulans resurfaced (Which was outclassed)...

Based on what? The fact that (for pretty much the only time in the show's run) it was bigger than the Enterprise? "Bigger" as "outclased" only works for penises, and nothing more.

I'm just not sure how you're arriving at your conclusions. Aside from the relevent ships' location to said events (as mentioned earlier), the impression I get is "We need to wait for our best ships to create a good impression". You've somehow lept from that to "All our ships apart from the Enterprise and similar are shit".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps