Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech-tion 31! ["Affliction" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Tech-tion 31! ["Affliction" Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Woo! Great episode again! Can't wait for the wrap up!

FFS - why'd they have to go and cancel the show - it's finding it's feet. Season 1 and 2 of TNG and DS9 pretty much sucked too - they both picked up in season 3 and hit their stride in season 4, too.

The explaination behind the humanised Klingons was done very well - better than any created before and ties in nicely with TOS and ENT.

I wonder if the Klingon Doctor was any ancestor of the Klingon Ambassador from Trek IV and VI!?! [Big Grin]

John Shuck has now been in TOS (movies), Voyager and Enterprise.

I too am a little weirded out by the 'plasma relay' thingies on the bridge - they're ripe for exploding and killing the captain.

The Indian girl at the helm of the Columbia looks vaguely familiar for some reason.

Has it always been a double brig?

Oh and when I first saw the humanised klingons - I couldn't believe it - they were VERY much (exactly?) similar to the TOS Klingons.

Also the subtle ridges seen - starting from TMP on all the Klingons may have been the result of therapy to exclude the augment DNA from the klingon genome? By TNG - they were successful?

Ohhh mention of the Hur'q too! Nice.

Oh and Hoshi looked especially hot outside Madame Chang's.

Was it deliberate or did T'Pol look not especially too... flash after the 'contact' with Trip?

LOVED the Targ, especially when he was nibbling at the Doctor's pants. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where do the big conduits behind Hernandez go, exactly? They seem to run to the ceiling of the bridge, from what I remember, and that's the outer hull. Are there phasers on dome now?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to the "Home" tech review, Columbia features:

*Hull polarization improved by 12%

*Ventral AND dorsal torpedo launchers

*PULSED PHASE CANNONS (!!) - Archer's own recommendation

The plasma doodads can easily correspond to power a new polarization grid, or be power conduits to new weapons mounts atop the bridge superstructure. Either way, there's little reason for distracting pulsing light columns to be on the bridge, where at the very least someone could cover it up with duct tape. [Razz]

From a production standpoint, the obvious reason to put those columns there is to have an immediate and obvious clue that the bridge ISN'T Enterprise. With pulsing columns of lights are ALWAYS IN YOUR FACE, you quickly tell it apart from the one we're familiar with. It worked in "E2", but those blokes had the additional lighting and paint job, which Columbia apparently lacks...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
As for the Columbia itself, maybe it's the spacedock lights, but it looks much whiter than Enterprise to me. I know it has a different dish, but possibly a different paintjob?

I noticed that too. There are times when Enterprise looks more or less bronze than usual, true. However, Columbia's drydock exit featured a scene not unlike the Enterprise flyby in the credits . . . comparing the two does show a slightly-more-pearly color in Columbia.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Columbia's helmswoman was seen on DS9 or Voyager at some point. I could be wrong though... and I am quite shocked that TOS Klingons (or close to them) are on the air right now. I want to see the TOS Defiant now!!!!

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the brief description of her (the Indian woman sitting at the helm), I'm for some reason reminded of Alicia Coppola, who played Lt. Stadi, Voyager's original helmsman, and a dem fine lookin' woman.

"I can be waaarm and sensual."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just absolutely loved this episode. I don't know why, there's little on paper that I'd expect to make me enjoy it. I just did. The music was terrific. T'Pol and Tucker meeting in the Loading Programme ("Guns. . . Lots of guns") and Hoshi gets to peek in on them. Reed as Section 31 goon, who'd a thunk it? (Answer: everyone) I guess. . . I was watching Star Trek before most of you were born. To me, THAT is what a Klingon is supposed to look like. They even wore different clothes! Well, I guess the armour wouldn't fit anymore. Why did I immediately see Kate McNeil in the credits and put the name to the face? I don't especially remember her from anything else she's done. Oh, wait, she was in a Babylon 5 episode I re-watched recently. But still, that's from 12 years ago. And why is she being credited everywhere as Lt. Collins when I'm sure she said she was Commander Collins? That baby's being very quiet, she's up to something. Oh, I need sleep. I still think the Klingon disruptors look like power-drills though. I wonder if it's snowing outside? I don't wanna go to work today. The stunt MACO were back, and Money got shot again, but this time by a whole other ship! That girl's a walking target, I tell you. I wonder if the Columbia has MACOs?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little girl got you on the sleep depravation routine, huh? Been there. Twice. Still there. After five years. I don't get to sleep in anymore.

B.J.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few loose (potentially) ends:

Seth MacFarlane and Marc Worden (aka Alexander Rozhenko from DS9) were also in it.

Worden was the Klingon prisoner on Enterprise, and using Andrews logic, a decendant of Worf. [Wink]

MacFarlane was Rivers and, I do believe, was the guy who caught Tucker "daydreaming" there in engineering before Columbia's launch.

I still want to see what a goddamn Rigelian looks like, damn masks!

CC gives us "Dol'sha t'ung nev'Rleel." as Rigelian for "Bring him with us."

Rigelian freighters have "black boxes"

I'm definately liking the shameless TOS references this season, and why the hell not! I says, if you're gonna go out with a bang, do us right! [Big Grin]

Not sure if it was mentioned directly, but Phlox mentioned that he was offered a position as the Director of Xenobiology at the IME.

The High Council dispatched "The Fleet" and annihilated the N'Vak colony, one of the first planets affected by "The Plague."

The story ends with the Enterprise hurdling through space at warp 5.2! Shazaam!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some info pulled from TrekBBS about the patches:

quote:
Posted by Mike Okuda:
quote:
is there any chance you could tell me what the Colombia and Starfleet patches Seen here say at the bottom?

Thanks for the question.

As noted above, the motto on the Starfleet emblem is "Ad astra per aspera." I borrowed it from a plaque at the base of Launch Complex 34 at Cape Canaveral, the site of the Apollo 1 tragedy. I used the same motto on an emblem I designed with Bill Foster of Mission Control to memorialize the crews of Apollo 1, Challenger 51L, and Columbia 107.

The motto on the Columbia patch (first seen in "Home"), is "Audentes fortuna juvat," or "fortune favors the bold." The same motto appears on a version of a patch that I designed for NASA's Exploration Systems Directorate, also known as Project Constellation. (The motto appears only on an "internal use" version; the "official" version does not have it.)

-Mike

B.J.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps