Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » UESPA $(Small "Demons" Spoilers)$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UESPA $(Small "Demons" Spoilers)$
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/UESPA.jpg

So it looks like UESPA and Starfleet are one and the same.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the way it's designed, I would have assumed one was a division of the other.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed... There should be matching "Starfleet Command - United Earth Transit Authority" and
"Starfleet Command - United Earth System Defense Forces" insignia somewhere.

Probably saying "Starfleet = UESPA" causes more problems than it solves. Even saying "United Earth Starfleet = UESPA" is iffy in the final analysis, although I could live with that.

Do we also get to see a "Starfleet Marines - Military Assault Command Operations" badge?

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do we also get to see a "Starfleet Marines - Military Assault Command Operations" badge?
I seriously hope not.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Indeed... There should be matching 'Starfleet Command - United Earth Transit Authority' and 'Starfleet Command - United Earth System Defense Forces' insignia somewhere."

Actually, I would have guessed the opposite, myself: that Starfleet was part of UESPA.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, makes sense - the governing body that Starfleet is a part of before the Federation? Problem is we never heard it before hand (in Enterprise) it was always "Earth" or "Starfleet". Although, in this upcoming episode - are we meeting the 'head' of Earth?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

msspurlock
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting! This kind of bumps against canon, though. I was at a convention where Roddenberry was asked about UESPA and he said his impression was that the UESPA was something Kirk made up to put Christopher at ease. This is also what Bjo Trimble thought and it appeared in the first versions of the ST Concordance explained that way, as memory serves. Not that it matters to me. Starfleet's greatest contribution is its design and signage. The more organizations, the better! :-)
IP: Logged
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they also mentioned it in "Charlie X."

And I'd agree with Tim, Starfleet is the (not really) military arm of the UESPA. Later it grows out beyond that and serves the entire Federation.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the SC/UESPA emblem is nearly identical to the SC/UFP emblem used in the DS9 Tech Manual (and, I think, in DS9 - on SB 375 walls, perhaps?). The arrowhead is horizontal here instead of vertical, but that's about the extent of the differences.

Does this mean that UESPA = 2150s counterpart of UFP? [Roll Eyes]

Personally, I think it would be nice to have UESPA be responsible for certain aspects of Starfleet operations rather than vice versa. But I can live with the opposite case - this is still the formative stage of Earth's space presence, and all sorts of insane organizational arrangements can prevail until something like the Romulan war forces coherence into the ranks. The mere sighting of this emblem won't solve the matter one way or the other, though.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pointy thing is somewhat reminiscent of the NASA logo. Perhaps they're hinting at a design evolution.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it's just the Earth Starfleet logo that've we've seen before, re-coloured, rotated and with the text & stars replaced.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Observe.
 -
 -

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you made the "United Earth Space Probe Agency" text too large in respect to the "Starfleet Command" text. Perhaps it's becasue you forgot "Probe."

By the way, Dukkie, where did you get that pic from?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ February 23, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so the Starfleet logo looks like the NASA logo then, in which case someone probably said that four years ago. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps