Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis observation lounge models (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Nemesis observation lounge models
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Can anyone tell me why Netscape keeps logging me out?)

Here's the deal; I haven't seen any other topics on that one (al least a quick serach didn't turn up anything). I Rented the Nemesis DVD today to check out the deleted scenes and ended up watching that movie again (we should start a petition to convince TPTB to do a director's cut - remove the dune buggy, add the crew interaction; everyone says Baird is a bad director but a good editor, but after seeing the movie again, I strongly doubt that).

Have we ever had a definite listing of all the mysterious ships on display on the back wall of the newly decorated observation lounge? I heard rumors that there are just six models, like the old display that Picard smashed in FC, but this screencap clearly shows at least 9 models ("at least" because I assume there are six models on each side of the big viewscreen/terminal).
And I hear people say that the models on one side are just mirrored by the ones on the other side, so that we basically have two sets of Enterprises. Again, I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Here's my capture (sadly the only one that gives a wide angle look at the back wall of that room).

Lounge: unedited

Here's a resized and modified version; I added the ships I could identify (or, at least, I tried to identify them).

definitely too many ships in there...

Going from left to right, while the upper one looks unfamiliar, the E-C is quite easy to recognize (round saucer, short nacelles), the bottom two on the left are nearly identical, with the closer to the screen obviously having more rounded nacelles. The other two on that display again look unfamiliar. On the right, we have, from bottom to top, E-B (again, that one's easy to figure out), E-D (oval saucer), and what could be the NX-01. Behind the saucer, between the nacelles, you see two reflections, indicating a possible catamaran hull.
Still missing is the E-E, which could be on the far right (if there's another display case) or one of the three unidentified vessels.

Here's another idea: Are we sure that these are supposed to be ships of the name Enterprise? Maybe it's just a generic display of the more important ship classes of Starfleet. Or a collection of all Starfleet flagships, Enterprise or not.

Feel free to bash me for the idea that the NX could be there, too. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a light-adjusted version courtesy of Photoshop CS.

-

I respectfully disagree with your E-A ident. Looks like a Nova to me.

The one above that does appear to be the Ent C. The one to the right of the Nova looks like the Ent A.

On the right hand side, looks like we have, from top to bottom, Ent-Nil, Ent D, Ent B.

I for one can't imagine that the NX-01 wouln't be n there, especially with the mention of the U.S.S. Archer taking part in the rescue fleet. These are definitely not mirrored displays, so I'm guessing there are at least 9 different ships. And it doesn't seem like good interior design sense to not have 12 ships there.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why would they put a Nova in there? I mean - it does resemble a Nova, but the saucer is hard to make out, so it could be the E-E. And if the NX is not the NX, my next best guess would be E-E, too.

And the "left side, second row, center spot" ship looks like a standard Excelsior. For whatever reason.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My argument for the Nova actually centers on the saucer. It clearly starts to taper inward. Also, there appears to be a raised area with a curved frontside on the top of the saucer, just like the raised area that the Nova's bridge sits inside. There also appears to be a phaser strip right below that raised area. I'll admit the nacelles don't look very Nova-ish though. I suppose this could in fact be the Ent E.

To add to the confusion (mine if not yours), there's no physical model of the Nova Class (except garage kits). They never built one for the show and ERTL has never made one.

The top one on the right, *could* be the NX... but I don't see any sign of the rectangular area on top of the saucer. And that nipple in the middle of the saucer... Dont' know. Looks like a Connie to me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I think that ship in lower left corner is definitely E-E herself. [Smile]

Middle bottom looks like E-A to me, with E-nil above.

-

Upper right seems to be NX-01... The only questions is: couldn't they find smaller model to coat it in gold? [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's ask Mike Okuda?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

At the time the movie was made there was no NX-model either, as far as I know. Maybe the NX-model (or what is supposed to be the NX) is actually a kitbash of another model to create a "stand-in". It was never supposed to be seen up close, after all. Same for the other models. I'd even go as far as to say the FC-models were resurrected for this scene and whoever was responsible just used some existing models to fill up the other displays.

(Something I noticed that doesn't justify its own thread but also occured in First Contact, IIRC. In the shots where we see the windows, there's just the starfield outside. But looking at the Sovereign model, shouldn't the ship's nacelles be clearly visible from that point of view? They're nearly at the same level as the bridge.)

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like TMP...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
I'd even go as far as to say the FC-models were resurrected for this scene and whoever was responsible just used some existing models to fill up the other displays.

That's kind of what I was thinking, though I can't iamgine they'd be that nonchalant about something they know fans will pay attention to. But then... there's the whole picture of Picard as a bald cadet... Nevermind. This is Nemesis...
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAICT, I'd say:

code:
???               ???                Ambassador?

Prometheus? Constitution Galaxy
(looks like there
are 2 nacelles on
the right)

Nova Constitution-refit Excelsior

Top-left may be Sovereign, judging by what appears to be a single nacelle and the engineering hull... Top-center may be a Constellation, judging by the saucer shape and size. Too bad those two can't be fully seen.

BTW, is the camera static during the whole scene, or is there a zoom or pan or anything that would show a different angle?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Upper right is an Ambassador - you can see the 'divit' in the top part of the nacelles.

Bottom left is a Sovereign and the bottom right an Excelsior.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it sure does not match the models on display, if they needed nine ships to fill the display cabinents they could have used the aircraft carrier, space shuttle, NX-01, E-Nil, then A-E.

You cold substitute the Ringship for the carrier if you want to keep ir all space-related. [Wink]

It looks to me like they just hosed a bunch of ERTL models with gold paint and hoped no one would notice: the D,A,C and B look to be the ERTL offerings (based on their size to each other- the "A" and "B" were never offered in scale with the others).
No idea where the NX-01 model comes from there though- mabye it's a proof-of-concept model for the CGI guys to look at.

The real question is "Why cant the Enterprise replace a few light bulbs in Generations and Nemesis?
I understand the concept of "dramatic lighting" but it looks like they're in a cave. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which one is the NX-Ent? Not the top right.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I'm starting to have my doubts as well - this top right starts to look like E-nil to me - we can clearly see long thin nacelle support pylon. There's no sign of catamarans, or Ambassador bent pylons.

On the same note, middle middle looks just like Excelsior class to me now... It's the same proportion - long engineering hull, long nacelles close to the body, small saucer... But two E-Bs?

This I think leaves middle left as E-C.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Notice that there are nametags below each ship. Somehow I doubt they just say something like "If you can read this, you're a geek" or "Fragile! Do not touch or smash with a phaser rifle".

Here's another possibility: What if those ships do not represent the finished product but rather concept versions of each Enterprise?

Anyway, here's a comparison of the two ships that could be Excelsiors: right-bottom, which is most certainly the E-B (you can almost see the additional impulse engines), and center-center, which looks like a normal Excelsior. Pay attention to the shape of saucer, cargo bay and nacelles.

-

Next is the left-bottom ship, which some suspect to be a Nova. After a closer examination, I came to the same conclusion. For comparison, I inserted a Sovereign, but you'll notice that there are at least three similarities between the ship and a Nova (the triangular shape of the saucer, the bridge dome and, most obvious, the nacelles).

-

Last ship is the NX. You can make out the second rim on top of the saucer, and what I suspect to be a catamaran-like hull is more obvious now.

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps