Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Beware the Tantechlus Field! ["In a Mirror, Darkly" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Beware the Tantechlus Field! ["In a Mirror, Darkly" Spoilers]
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't watched regular TV in almost three years. I just recently after moving out of the barracks, got digital cable. So when IaMD came on, it was the first ST ENT I have watched since the first season. So between that and Friday, all I have watched was TNG. DS9 and VOY. Needless to say that episode ranks among the best of Trek IMO.

What I love was the beginning with Cochrane and the credits. I can't wait to see the old Connie kick some ass next week. It'll be the first time we have seen the Connie fire her weapons (also with updated SPX) since the 60's.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-They engage everything but aux power to cloak Enterprise. This further solidifies the horrid DS9 episode "The Emperor's New Cloak" as part of ANOTHER MU, really.

I'd much rather just believe that "The Emperor's New Cloak" was nothing more than some mass-hallucination-slash-nightmare and never actually happened. ::shudder::

EDIT: It's also occurred to me that, based on the events of "Shockwave, Part I", it always seemed to me that even the Suliban weren't able to fire when they were cloaked. But who knows...

Re: First Contact and the Vulcan "invasion"...

Sure, I'd agree it's just as likely that the idea of the Vulcans having an army ready to invade Earth was quite probably propaganda... but I still firmly believe that Cochrane's decision to pull a gun on the Vulcans and shoot them can't possibly have been the initial point of divergence between our universe and the mirror universe.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if our universe is the mirror universe, then the point of divergence must be earlier since Trek's late 20th century doesn't match ours.
Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

Sure, I'd agree it's just as likely that the idea of the Vulcans having an army ready to invade Earth was quite probably propaganda... but I still firmly believe that Cochrane's decision to pull a gun on the Vulcans and shoot them can't possibly have been the initial point of divergence between our universe and the mirror universe.

Like I mentioned before, the moon landing with a Terran Empire flag seems to imply divergence at the very least a century back from Cochrane's decision to blow away Spock's grandpappy Solkar.
As for the possibility of a 'Vulcan Invasion Force', T'Pol certainly did not deny it when Archer brought up the subject...

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cochrane's shotgunning might not've been the initial point of divergence, but I'd bet it was close.

1. No Lily Sloane . . . where was she? Of course in the non-MU timeline she was over beside the bar with the TNG crew, but that obviously didn't happen here. If something had happened to her, we might have another reason for Cochrane's poor diplomacy.

2. Is any of the damage to the town from the Borg attack visible? If so, then the Borg attack did indeed take place. If not, then it did not occur in this timeline, and hence the point of divergence must've been prior to that point on the timeline.

3. In the book Federation, there's something called the Optimum Movement or something . . . your standard world-domination badguys that Cochrane's warp ship helps defeat in a sort of progress-over-evil sort of thing.

It's possible that the moon landing was executed by a group such as this, a United Terra group which was taking over the post-WW3 world. Instead of the liberation that comes from progress, however, the Cochrane group sold out or was taken over by the United Terra government.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-The Defiant doesn't look damaged in the monitor photo. There's a Tholian webslinger in front of the saucer, and what could be its shadow.

Ah, good. Just saved me from fast-forwarding thru the tape to check. I need to savor it all again at regular speed. [Big Grin]

quote:

-The female uniforms were ridiculous as expected, but... Screw it. HOSHI IS HOT.

Well said, sir. Well said.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cochrane may not have been the number one most noble guy on the planet, but, in FC, he didn't seem like the sort of guy who, upon seeing aliens for the first time, would pretend to be friendly, then whip out a shotgun, start murdering them, and take all their stuff. I'd say there had to already be a difference between the two universes prior to that moment.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd place the point of divergence somewhere near the Big Bang, really. But it seems likelier to me that there never was such a point at all.

The point of the Mirror Universe isn't "what if?", that is, "had we done this or that differently, what would follow?". The point of the Mirror Universe is "what if?", that is, "if we all were fundamentally violent, immoral and lesbian by birth, what would follow?". There is no historical connection between the RU and the MU - and there need not be any historical connection between the various MUs that have been shown in the various episodes, either.

Timo Saloniemi

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Cochrane may not have been the number one most noble guy on the planet, but, in FC, he didn't seem like the sort of guy who, upon seeing aliens for the first time, would pretend to be friendly, then whip out a shotgun, start murdering them, and take all their stuff. I'd say there had to already be a difference between the two universes prior to that moment.

I've been giving some thought to this myself...

In our universe, Troi tells Cochrane ahead of time that the aliens who would be making contact are "good guys." After sorting everything out, the Vulcans land, Cochrane makes peaceful first contact, time loop complete.

In the mirror universe, either one of two things happen:

1) The Borg attack never happens. Cochrane is never told ahead of time by someone that the Vulcans are peaceful, and thus he concludes that they are attacking. Considering how many sci-fi stories where humans mistake peaceful aliens for invaders, this is not necessarily out of the question.

2) The Borg attack happens. Somebody from the future tells Cochrane that the Vulcans are invaders. Whether or not the Vulcans are actually invading is irrelevant, it simply is what Terran Empire history records. Therefore, when the Vulcans land, Cochrane attacks. Time loop complete.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Have screencaps been posted yet?

Also, 0 Kekvin (absolute zero) is -273.15 degrees Celsius. 430 Kelvin is "only" 156.9 degrees Celsius, not 329.

Mark

I thought my math was off... OOPS. must go fix the error...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cochrane may not have been the number one most noble guy on the planet, but, in FC, he didn't seem like the sort of guy who, upon seeing aliens for the first time, would pretend to be friendly, then whip out a shotgun, start murdering them, and take all their stuff.
Then again, perhaps matters diverged when Deanna and Will interrupted Zephram's drinking at the bar? Had they not, Zep would have finished the bottle, suffered brain damage, and gone so bonkers that he'd shoot all the space aliens he'd meet within the next 24 hours.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe on one iteration through the loop someone told him Vulcans don't like his music.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the tholian ship, was there more than one design ini the space-scenes?
Also, isn�t there a ship inside the asteroid that doesn�t look like a webslinger? Pointy front, but cargomodule-like rear?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is at least one additional ship. The shape is identical, but it looks more like the silver TOS-ship than the new blue/black Tholian. And one of them does indeed tug some containers. If anyone has the ability to make some screencaps, it appears after they've identified the asteroid base on the main screen. There's a short cut to Forrest, followed by an exterior shot of the facility. The tug can be spotted in the lower right of the docking bay, heading out of it.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Defiant in spacedock
 -

Defiant MSD-thingy
 -
 -

Tholian
 -

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps