Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » starship Tashik-Sotra? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: starship Tashik-Sotra?
Kenny
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reading the article on starship registries by Greg Jein and I noticed that in Ruth Berman's addendum, there is a starship named "Tashik-Sotra".

Where did this name come from? I've never heard of it.

-- Kenny

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a link to the article or a quote from it would help.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein1.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein2.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein3.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein4.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/Jein5.jpg

Ruth Berman either made it up specifically for that list or included it from some fanfic that either she or an acquaintance had written. See where she says:
quote:
Many of the names and numbers are autocratic additions, but I have included the aforestated "official" names as well. You are, of course, free to regard this with approval, disapproval, or indifference.
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Kenny
Member # 1592

- posted      Profile for Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MMoM for the scans of T-Negative from 1975!

I see it was typed on a manual typwriter! Did they have photocopy machines then?

Is your original a blue mimeograph copy? I remember those (and the smell) from when I was a kid, and at school we'd get worksheets printed out like that. Heaven forbid that you'd get a copy that the teacher ran when the blue ink was almost out.

I had read your earlier thread when you'd found the magazine, but the scans posted there didn't work. So I read the transcript on trekplace.

I'm glad to see the original in all its ancient glory!!

-- Kenny

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny:

I see it was typed on a manual typwriter! Did they have photocopy machines then?

Is your original a blue mimeograph copy? I remember those (and the smell) from when I was a kid, and at school we'd get worksheets printed out like that. Heaven forbid that you'd get a copy that the teacher ran when the blue ink was almost out.

Oh, I remember those days too... and I remember a friend who would sneak into the mimeographer room right after the teacher left to look inside the trashcan and get the questions early in the day, before the time of the exam...
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either that or you've seen Animal House to many times.

Did anybody else read the 'Klingon Kapstan Chanty'?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a more important question. No, but, like, what's up with the reverse of that first page? WFT?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that's the cover by Connie Faddis. Spock's getting a piece of the action.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like he's giving it to me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubba-hubba... Oh, you meant that, to you, it looks like he's "giving" a piece of the action. How utterly disappointing.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like McCoy is supposed to be catching them in the act. Or are we looking at a so-to-be threesome here?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I'm guessing that's the cover by Connie Faddis. Spock's getting a piece of the action.

Indeed.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
Looks like he's giving it to me. [Big Grin]

Mmmmm. Perhaps a comma in there wouldn't have gone amis?

--------------------

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we weren't going to comment. If you look like chapel, and like wearing that red uniform, who are we to judge!

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Damn right! Don't judge me!

On a more serious note, where does the name "Tashik Sotra" come from? I can't find any place, person, or thing with that name.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps