Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » FC Nebula---Leeds vs. Farragut thoughts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: FC Nebula---Leeds vs. Farragut thoughts
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, you are correct.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, to sum up we're saying here that:

- The Nebula model was refurbed for its single dorsal shot in "Generations". It was labeled only on the dorsal half plus pylons.

- In the intervening time, the model was re-detailed on the ventral side (only?) for its appearance as Leeds in the DS9 opener. It could still say Farragut on top, thus sourcing this confusion.

- Subsequently, the model is used in "First Contact" but without any re-labeling, as they knew it would be only in the background. For all we know, it STILL says Farragut on top and Leeds on the bottom, as the model was replaced by the various CG models after this. The Vegas folks only paid attention to the LARGE name on the top and not the tiny one on the bottom when mounting the model, and so labelled it according to its first appearance as Phoenix and what they read.

Next - someone track the lineage of the Miranda model. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
So, to sum up we're saying here that:

- The Nebula model was refurbed for its single dorsal shot in "Generations". It was labeled only on the dorsal half plus pylons.

Well, no. It was labeled everywhere except the ventral saucer.

quote:
- In the intervening time, the model was re-detailed on the ventral side (only?) for its appearance as Leeds in the DS9 opener. It could still say Farragut on top, thus sourcing this confusion.

That's what I *was* saying, but I found evidence to the contrary. So I'm not saying it anymore.

quote:
- Subsequently, the model is used in "First Contact" but without any re-labeling, as they knew it would be only in the background. For all we know, it STILL says Farragut on top and Leeds on the bottom, as the model was replaced by the various CG models after this. The Vegas folks only paid attention to the LARGE name on the top and not the tiny one on the bottom when mounting the model, and so labelled it according to its first appearance as Phoenix and what they read.

It's not impossible, but the pics I found showing the Leeds' registry on the pylons and pod make it seem unlikely. Especially since Okuda never mentioned anything about it when he gave us the Leeds' information.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, seeing if the model was labeled as both Farragut and Leeds, and the Farragut was destroyed by the time of FC, then I'm perfectly happy to accept it was the Leeds at the battle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sticking with my original supposition. The handlers of the model saw only "FARRAGUT" pasted across the upper hull, and stuck with that. The folks who actually DID the detailing may not have been informed of exactly what the VFX shot would be except in the broad strokes, i.e. upper half, lower half, etc.

So, knowing that Farragut would've been seen from above, they didn't bother labeling the bottom of the saucer (but they did do the pylons). Likewise, when the detail guy got the memo that they'd need the Nebula model shot from below for the new DS9 opener, they re-did the bottom, pylons, and other smaller details without knowing how far away the ship would be in the shot, etc. The ship could thus still say "FARRAGUT" across the top.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

ATTENTION ALL POSTERS! I NOW ANNOUNCE THAT I AM FLIP-FLOPPING ON THIS ISSUE ONCE AGAIN!

Check this out, yo. The evidence is not so contrary to my initial thoughts as I initially thought!

[Eurasia and Oceania have always been allies! Eastasia is and has always been the enemy!]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'll be damned. The pod at least is still labelled as Farragut.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But how do we know that shot wasn't taken partway through the changeover?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

No, seriously, uh, by the date on the photo? 1998 post-dates the 1995 airdate of "Way of the Warrior" (first appearance of Nebula in credits) by, like, a lot.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because it's date-stamped 1998 doesn't mean it was actually taken in 1998. The photo had probably never been used prior to its inclusion inwhatever article you got this from. Which, I'm guessing, probably came out in 1998?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Serious dork moment here, but...

I was right!

...and, in case you don't remember what I'm talking about after nearly three years, reread the first post!

...or, I can simply recap: The Nebula studio model that was labelled as the U.S.S. Farragut NCC-60597 for GEN was relablled for the DS9 opening credits as the U.S.S. Leeds NCC-70532, but only on the ventral saucer, pylons, and aft shuttlebay. The dorsal saucer and upper sensor pod remained labelled as the Farragut.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, mmmm, ahhh, uhhh, congrats man.

Looks to be about 2 Years, 7 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 5 Hours, 5 Minutes between Lee's post and yours.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Data. And Spock.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, what's the current record on a zombie thread?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say this is pretty close.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.