Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The original Enterprise-D blueprints (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The original Enterprise-D blueprints
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also though, in the Star Trek universe - apart from the Cardassian Border Wars and the Galen border conflicts with the Talarians there had been relative peace for about 53 years (since the Tomed incident) for the Federation. Plenty of time to establish major exploratory projects.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Tzinkithi War and the border conflicts with the Tholians.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, the mid-24th century, when you take everything together, was made out to be about as unpeaceful as you can get.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, yes Tholians AND Tzenkethi... err... ok no "fullscale" wars to the scale of the Dominion Wars.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm.....I dont know....most Federation citizens were probably never in any danger from those minor wars.

Consider that Picard was never involved with either war (running away once from Cardies in the Stargazer aside).

The Federation is large enough that a border war would not affect the majority of citizens in any way whatsoever- Particularly if the combat is mostly ship-to-ship.

A conflict lasting only few months might concievably be over before the residents of the opposite side of the Federation know it's started at all.

[ June 19, 2005, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AH_Solid_Snake
Member # 1624

- posted      Profile for AH_Solid_Snake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the thing you have to remember is that for the first few seasons where rodenberry was still contributing a great deal (before age and illness got the better of him i guess) that the enterprise never met truly credible threats to them.

Most of the early season 1 episodes were more based around enterprise being "the ultimate power in the universe" and picards moral dillema (let them kill wesley and uphold prime directive, sod it all and just beam him up).

Its only later on, mebe around about the borg introduction that the possibility of things that can take the enterprise on that becomes the new standard.

I agree however that families and kids is kind of a bone idea, you are risking a lot if the ship gets stuck in some kind of vortex that threatens the magnetic containment or whatever this week.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I felt it was another attempt to de-militarize Starfleet by making it as Khan said "one big happy fleet". Unfortunately phasering holes in a planets crust to prevent an earthquake isn't near as exciting as tossing Photon torpedoes at the ugly prosthetic of the week.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Edo "god" seemed to present more than an idle threat, as far as that example goes, though of course we never found out what it could have done, since it decided to do nothing.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Nothing - it was perving on the population on the planet below continually getting it on. What's a bet that whole 'station' thing was occupied by one adolescent boy. [Smile]

--------------------

Jag2112
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Jag2112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of similar interest would be these prints...

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/centurian-series-battlecruiser.html

This is the first time I've come across this "version" of the Enteprise-D...

Does anyone have additional information on these prints?

-John

--------------------
-John
www.cygnus-x1.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No date on the drawings, but, like the site says, it looks like something someone did after seeing a sketch or a photo of the Ent D for a few seconds before the show came out.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's odd that the RCS thruster is marked as part of the deflector grid, especially as those thrusters had been around since the first movie.

Also strange is that there are movie style phasers on top, but there's still a strip that looks like the normal phaser strip on the bottom part of the ship just behind the deflector.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the "D" before Liposuction and augmentation.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously ugly as fuck.

The movie-style phasers would be four times as large as on the "A" so that means their turretts would be about ten meters tall.

They dont seem to cover very much of the ship either.

No sir, I dont like it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a long overdue update.

The Ed Whitefire interview is now hosted at http://trekplace.com/ ,if anybody wants to read it.

If you have any questions regarding it or you would like to ask Ed about something, let me know and I will post the answers here.

Regards

Albertus

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps