Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Image in the Sand" (DS9) Galaxy: CGI or Possible Trinculo? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Image in the Sand" (DS9) Galaxy: CGI or Possible Trinculo?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one for all you experts at telling physical and CGI models apart. I was watching the DS9 seventh season opener, "Image in the Sand," the other day and noticed this shot of a Galaxy-class ship docked at the station. Something about it (particularly the detailing of the panels on the ventral saucer and the way the light diffuses across it) suggested a physical model to me, although the other ships in the scene appear to be CGI. I'm uncertain, though.

Anyway, I suddenly thought "If that is a physical model, then it could be the Trinculo!" and decided to float the idea here. We know they were still doing some physical shots during the seventh season (witness the new footage of the Nash a few episodes later in "Chrysalis") so it seemed possible. Of course, that could be a CGI shot of DS9 itself, in which case it wouldn't make any sense for the Galaxy to be otherwise when all other elements were CGI.

Thoughts?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it liklier to be footage of the Enterprise-D from "Emissary" re-used, with CG elements added.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe we ever saw the E-D from that angle in "Emissary," though. Over the past several months, I've been watching the DS9 DVDs in order and I don't recall any such shot in any previous episode of the series, actually.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Then unless anyone can come up with something different, I'm happy saying it's either an unused shot from "Emissary" or the elusive Trinculo.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for starters, the ship doesn't even look like it's docked with the station. It's pointing in the same direction as the pylon.

It looks to me like a shot of the Ent D passing by from TNG comped in with a bunch of other stuff.

As to what shiup it's actually supposed to be... dunno.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Aban- it's the tandard TNG shot we've seen a zillion times composited in there.

Lookie- the Wairds are actually in their correct scale!
A christmas miracle.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CGI composite. I always thought it absurd that a supposedly busy "hub of commerce" space station never seemed to have that many ships docked to it. I think around the 3rd or 4th season they added some triangular ship and then the runabouts but in general I would've expected much more for a spaceport.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hub of commerce" is pushing it a little, I think, at least for the majority of the series.
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree - always got the impression DS9 was, as far as the wider galaxy went, a bit of a backwater place and not of much interest to many of the major powers other than as a staging point for use of the wormhole.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what I mean specifically is that the station was only really a waystation for civilians for that brief period between the discovery of the wormhole and the breaking out of hostilities with the Dominion.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the start of the war, they consistantly had Federation and Allied ships docked or in close proximity.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vor'cha is CG (the color of the texture gives it away - I've seen that texture far too many times...), and the Warbird is CG, too (take a close look at the nose). So I guess it's safe to assume that the Galaxy is CG, too. The window lights are clearly visible in that shot, and I doubt they'd dig out the model, do some additional shots just to add some lights to the ship to give it some more depth and imsert it somwhere in a corner of a 2-second stock shot.

IIRC, there are only two existing shots of a model Galaxy docked at DS9; the Emissary/Birthright/The Jem'Hadar-footage (E-D docked at upper pylon, camera facing upwards from the docking ring) and the (modified) Venture from WotW.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think it would be worth the effort for them to take a non-cgi lower grade 2nd generation (by that point of editing) composite of stock E-D footage from TNG and put it into a CGI scene of a Galaxy docked at Deep Space Nine.

Considering the season 6 Finale had the Galaxy in it, it most possibly could be that ship. Doesn't look like a physical model E-D to me, anyway. A Larger cap would be nice. Oh and just one more thing - look at the light source on the Galaxy Class ship - and the station - it all matches. I don't think they would have sifted through footage to find a shot where the light shines from some exact angle and then match it up to DS9 footage or vice versa.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's CGI most likely... and if it's the USS Galaxy they are using the pylon and angle to hide the battle damage.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

If they had all the models available as CGI, I have no doubt it's all CGI. Unless it's just rediculously easy to composite existing footage with new elements.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps