Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Annoying subspace question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Annoying subspace question
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize the answer to this is probably RTFM, but I'm going to ask anyway. So how does subspace work?... No, I kid. Sort of.

What I'm wondering about is subspace communications. In several instances we see officers in remote places in real-time conversations with Earth. And we saw the NX-01 deploying subspace relays which are presumably how this is accomplished. Plus there's Voyager which cannot send or receive to SFC in any reasonable amount of time from the Delta Quadrant except when that big array is used or they are co-opting an alien network. There must be some sort of range/power limitation to how these signals are sent.

Do we know what this limitation is? What is the range of subspace comms? How does one go about jamming as in TWOK? Is it a point to point or broadcast technology? If someone is eavesdropping on a subspace signal, is the signal degraded or interfered with? Are stars (or pulsars or singularities or whatehaveyou) transparent to subspace signals?

SO many dumb questions. Feel free to point me at a thread where someone has answered these questions before. Or to tell me which manual to fucking read.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's obviously more a plot device than anything else- we see Enterprise D using realtime comunications with Earth/wherever a lot but (mostly back in the first two season) there is sometimes a lag.

I think that's all dependant on where the ship is in relation to the various subspace relay stations spread throught the federation.

I'm kind of suprised that there are not subspace relays located in subspace.

As to jamming, on DS9 we see various races flood the local area of combat with various radiation/ particles/pulses that jam the signal- probably it just jams the recievers and does not actually interfere with the signal though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did flip through my TNG Tech Manual and it mentions an practical max transmission distance of something like 22 ly. Can anyone confirm this?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confirmed. The manual is somewhat ambiguous on whether the 22-ly limit applies to all subspace communications, or to those attempted by the Galaxy class hardware. It also remains nebulous on the issue of what happens to the signal after the limit: does it continue as a coherent signal in normal space at lightspeed, or does it degrade into mere lightspeed noise?

To fit onscreen data, it might be smartest to assume that the limit depends on the hardware. A Galaxy can talk in realtime with anybody within 22 ly, or with anybody connected to a relay network where the nearest buoy is less than 22 ly away. A Danube might have a range of only 5 ly, though. And a big badass fixed installation could do realtime signaling across 500 or even 5,000 ly without the help of relays.

Also, a cleverly compiled signal would remain readable even after it degrades to lightspeed - so a starship can communicate beyond its subspace hardware limit, but with a delay that rapidly increases with distance beyond that limit.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strange thing about subspace communication, at least according to the TNGTM, is that the subspace relays do not (or not primarily) amplify the amplitude of the signal, but push it deeper into subspace where signals are faster. On the other hand, this probably gives us a very similar relation between power and signal range as with real-life EM transmissions. So I agree with Timo that the range of a (near real-time) signal depends on the power of the ship's subspace transceiver.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my own subspace array.
in my pants

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It gets my point across, yes.

Here's aquestion- how big is that subspace array shown on TNG (the horrible Aquiel episode) supposed to be?

I was going to build one but the scale is....elusive.

150 meters tall? Larger?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's in the TNG technical manual, isn't it? Not that there's any information, beyond the drawing.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's not the exact same station though- the Aquiel version seems to have a habitat component (but with no real windws it's anyone's guess).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all we know, it's some sort of digital radio-like signal, but humping its way through the next dimension over.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model and the set obviously do not match... The only vague indication of scale on the model is that there seems to be a presurized section which on the drawing has a man-sized hatch at one end. This could be anything, but I've always thought that it was the crew-accessible point that was never meant to house a facility as large as seen in "Aquiel".

Still, you gotta question how important or valuable a station must be to house a permenant crew of two plus pooch, when all they do is monitor routine subspace stuff. At least the Epsilon-9 station was gargantuan and coordinated comms for an enormous region of space.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's possible that the relay needs regular maintence and that priority channels require someone there to prevent some foreign power from setting up a communications tap.

Bad idea to have a crew of only two- most male/female pairings would lead to....distractions.
Particularly if Starfleet somehow assigned you a total psycho as a partner.

I'd have flushed her damn dog out the airlock from sheer spite.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably Starfleet would have a low ratio of total psychos amoungst its members. Although that doesn't seem to be the case.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that the psychos are shunted to postings where they can do relatively little harm, such as key communications nodes, flagships, demanding diplomatic missions, or the Admirality. We thus get a biased idea of the true percentage because our heroes and their trusty camera crews also tend to mostly hang around these low-risk locations.

As for why there was a habitat section attached to SR-47, this no doubt was a special request from the Commander, Communications Division, so that he could promote a certain affable underling of his to that prestigious position, 365 ly away from his own office.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps