Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to The Flameboard.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS 1701 Part of TNS BSG RagTag Fleet (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: TOS 1701 Part of TNS BSG RagTag Fleet
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could remember where I heard this, but a comedian had a bunch of jokes involving religion and was telling this story about his friend the aetheist and that he was an agnostic. A third friend asked "What's the difference?"

"A aethist has a firm belief that God doesn't exist. An agnostic isn't really decided one way or the other. As for me, I'm agnostic - just in case."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like my own belief: "Hope for the best- expect the worst."

Or the old bit about how "no one's an aithest in a foxhole." [Wink]
"The term 'creationist' is a bit of a catch all- some call themselves 'creationist' believe simply that there is a creator of everything, others that everyone decended from Adam and Eve and that's fine."

No it's not. Believeing in Adam and Eve (i.e. Yahweh created two primogenial Homo sapienses in their current form with no help from any damn dirty apes) is no different than those other ludicrous ideas you mentioned. [/QB][/QUOTE]
It all gets pretty diversive from that point on though as to what people using the term believe though. While I would not group all "crationist" onto the short bus, the vocal minority of them are certifiable.

It's up to other believers to reign them in -or distance themselves from the term- an unbeliever's opinion wont carry the same weight as one of their own.

Any way you cut it, the creationism/Intelligent Design bit is not science. I can see them adding other "alternate theories" to science classes, like "an invisible hand holds up the plane" or "the stars are only small lights in the heaveans".

Religion as scientific theory does not work because science is always trying to refute itself and establish an observable cause and effect relationship. The "Inteligent desgn" bit does not- can not- do this: it would be heresy.

I cant say that Aithiesm is a religion- or even a faith. How do you define something by it's absence?

Science however has it's own "beliefs" but they rank lower than theory- the so caled "string theoryies" are not observable so they are just a premise on which to build a case for other work- also not something faith based beliefs can do- unless someone finds an artist's signature at the cellular level someday. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Atheism IS a religion.

Isn't that like saying a perfect vacuum IS an atmosphere?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer a Eureka Dust Devil, myself.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
C And I have to agree with WizArtist (urgh, now I feel icky)

Somehow...it feels like the Earth has shifted off its axis. Come on Tim, I ain't THAT bad.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh...what happened to the nice discussion about the appearance of a fictional spacecraft from a 40-year-old television series alongside fictional spacecraft in a current television series?

I LIKED THAT BETTER.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Scrolling back, it seems that

a) Jason happened, and
b) I was too damn busy trying to
bi) earn a living
bii) find a screencap of that map of Voyager's route home
to do anything about it.

How about redirecting this RTF to the Flameboard?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.