Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Enterprise Engineering (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Enterprise Engineering
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can dig an enginering complex, as Timo's drawing suggests. I also think that there would be some sort of 'Impulse Control Room' at the back of the saucer, which may be a smaller version of enginering, and could serve as a sort of backup, but what would be the point of having a warp core in the Impulse Enginering?

Another thing, wasn't there an episode of (cover your eyes children) TAS that showed a sort of tubey thing that looked abit like a warp core?

While I'm at it: what about the refit. Did they actualy remove the warp reactor, and replace it with the intermix chamber we see in TMP, freeing up all that space to fill with cargo , or did they just reuse the girders from the 1701 shell, and consider that enough to still call the ship Enterprise?

IHO they didn't consider the ability of fans to nitpick when they made that movie. Or most of the rest of Trek, now I think about it.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Except for the kaboom parts. If one hull is supposed to be safer than the other, it's not gonna feature the kaboom parts.

To be sure, we don't really know if separation was a safety feature, nor that it happened between the primary and secondary hulls. We hear that it is possible to jettison nacelles and depart in the "main section", but that section could mean everything but the nacelles. Other references to jettisoning or separation or ejection are even more ambiguous, none suggesting that the saucer would be an ejectable component.

But of course any sensible person accepts that the saucer was ejectable. Or dies. (Eventually, anyway.)

And as far as I can tell, neither "primary vs secondary hull" nor "engineering hull" are onscreen TOS terminology: they seem to premiere in TNG first season. The only TOS word we hear is "main section", but we don't know what it refers to. ("Engineering section" is also used, but clearly refers to the set of rooms within the ship, not one of the two hulls.)

Timo Saloniemi [/QB]

As far as I know, Matt Jefferies wanted all the Kaboom parts in the nacelles. Treknically, to me
that would jive with Greg Mandell's Main Propulsion Unit blueprints, Sheet 1 of 1. There is transfer of data and plasma for power generation between the nacelles and the ship itself, but the real dangerous stuff is out in
the warp nacelles where they can be jettisoned if
there is a problem.

I don't have access to the DVD's for TOS. I do have all the episodes for TOS, TNG and the motion pictures in text transcript form. I'd like to look through all the episodes and see what they
did use on a regular basis.

Christopher

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Sort of neat.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That site is ODD - It won't work at home, but it does work at uni.

OK I found on the front page of the site that somehow systems with Norton have ""HTTP REFERER"" set. I can't find it in the program. Can anyone find it - if so can you tell me where to look for the section to 'turn it off'?

Thanks,

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps