Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Coventry class!

Author Topic: TOS Coventry class!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont now exactly where this design comes from, but I was asked to build up a few models of it for Odyssey Slipways' new kit (I just built these and modded one- I did not master it, though the kit is very impressive)

The stock version.
The decaled final version.
One I blew to hell for fun.
Still more destruction.

so...anyone got a background on this design?
I vaguelly recall Masao doing a version a while back (I could be mistaken though).

Your thoughts?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the design appears in Todd Guenther's "Ships of the Star Fleet" under the Coventry name; it is a "formalization" of one of the "TOS Miranda" designs that began floating around in the fan community soon after ST2. The Surya class formalizes a competing design. The FASA RPG universe has its own comparable formalizations; I think this particular design was called the Benning or something.

The original Coventry/Benning designer is not specified in the book or the RPG, but aridas would probably know.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...the FASA version is a lot diffrent.

The Anton was the FASA version, as far as I can tell.

Hmmm..the Coventry might be the first attempt to retro a starship design into the TOS era ( a practice I generally dislike, but not so much here).

mmm..Googleing turns up several versions with a deflector tacked on to the lower planetary sensor.
You guys prefer it that way or without?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to stick twin deflectors either side of the bridge, like the things on the Miranda, but everyone else seems to hate that.

But that font fills me with rage

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What? the TOS font I used? It's 1000% accurate! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that font. Rage.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...you want the font for your own ships?
I could photoshop it onto some TOS scenes if you'd like?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps