Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelly class. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Shelly class.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was digging through the old post archives a month or so ago and came across a few threads pertaining to this odd and contraversial design.
Lots of people hate it, so you just know I had to build my own version.

My version is kinda refit on the Curry (as it uses refit parts):
USS Helios
Side view

Flyby
Front
I took some needed design liberties here- chiefly was modding the oversized nacelles a bit. The nacelles are not as disproportionate as the studio model's are and I've tweaked the bussard collector to be a bit more "TNG" looking.
TO give the saucer a bit more clearance, I used two "necks" stacked on each other.
I also moved the forward hangar opening even farther forward to give the secondary hull a "Goblin Shark" look that I find appealing, and replaced the standard two aft torpedo tubes with three of my own design (it lacked coverage back there, IMHO).

So, is it a carrier of shuttles? Fighters? A class all it's own or a part of a group of Excelsior variants?

I also made up a new design from the "Lost Era" for your parusal:
USS Stachran
Aft view
Flyby

Opinions?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this one was the Curry?

Anyway, I like the idea that the secondary hull detaches as a sort of mobile orbital command center.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that "Shely" is he unofficial class name.
USS Curry was the actual name on the studio model.

The detaching secondary hull might indeed work as a mobile command center.
Possibly also as an orbital defense thing, with fighters/shuttles useing it as a base of operations while maintaining patrol.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shelley-class was a name someone (Here?) came up with, to describe this class, because of it's freaky Frankensteinish construction. Years later someone (Sternbach or Ukda, that kind of someone) revealed that the name on the model was USS Curry, named for one of their FX people.

Damn, talk about stating the obvious. I think I'm turning into Colin in my old age.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shelley name was me. My only lasting contribution to unofficial fandom, dammit, and I'm keeping it!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur. All I have, claim-to-fame-wise, is being the first one "here" (we're talking roughly 1998 here, when this was just the Behaviour Group webboard) to suggest using $ to denote spoilers - something that's become so universal, I can't believe I was the first ever to think of it. And I was the first one to identify a ship-registry in "TotP" as that of the USS Galaxy (but I told Adam via ICQ, and he immediately went public saying "Guess what I just found!").

So, really, I'm relying on the Iceland-class for posterity! 8)

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the USS Pamela Anderson? [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

I wouldn't call that "fame," more "notoriety" or "pariahdom."

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the Shelley Class. I remember seeing it on screen when the show aired and being all excited about seeig a new ship class. I was taping all the episodes, so I, of course, rewound the tape after the show and studied the fly-by frame by frame.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Okay, but what do you guys think of my version?
It's a bit diffrent, ya know. [Big Grin]

Leave it to fellow Flarites to stray so far afield immeadeately

What's the practical uses for this ship? Sol's idea was pretty good....

Really, this all stems from a challenge by fellow modelers to make the "Lost Era" ships that must have been developed in the span between STVI and TNG.
Anyone got any other "Lost Era" designs I can see?
It's odd that so few seem to exist...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont mind the saucer impulse engines from the Ent. B saucer, but I don't like the use of the Ent B secondary hull in this design. Just doesn't work for me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Helios the most- I'm astounded by your modeling know-how, the photos are kinda blurry though, It's difficult to see how the saucer and secondary hull are connected.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes indeedy. Looks good, but a macro lens would really, really help. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee invented $ = spoiler. Good heavens I had no idea we were in the presence of such greatness!

You really should have put a spoiler warning on that post though.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Aploogies for the super-crappy photos, guys.
My best friend (and professiomal photographer) moved last year and all I have is the freebie digital camera that work gave everybody.

Hmmm....once I get my new Razor phone, things should improve.

The saucer and secondary hull are connected via two Excelsior "neck" pieces stacked one on the other (for twice the height). The connection is made just fore of the aft shuttlebay's cowling (that crescent-shaped part).

Really, the Helios is very nicely done (one of my best builds to date at least) and once I can, I'll snap more pics.

BTW, both ships are in 1:2500th scale (as are all my models) so the Helios is only 4.75" long.
The challenge is in the details. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps