Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelly class. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Shelly class.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or through the ship.

Are you going to make the neck - the excelsior neck?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the rectanguloid extensions coming off of the dome were lateral sensors that could scan off in all directions.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, ditto. The dome itself need not be a dedicated, directional sensor - and if it were, how do all other starships sense stuff above them?

For what it's worth, I've always thought those darker panels on the secondary hull underside were some sort of sensor suite too, like the phased array panels on some USN warships.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The geometry here is worse than it looks. The only scanning direction not obscured by the ship's structures would be directly forward; port and starboard are completely blocked by the pylons and the nacelles.

As for scanning above the saucer, that's what the dome atop the bridge is for! [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I'm sure that the secsor pallate can scan "through" the ship- just as it can through asteroids and anythng else without leaving a gaping blind spot in coverage.

The illustration where the Shlly has no connection comes from the DS9TM (and we've all been over the numerous errors in that rushed "starships" section).

The 'Raging Queen" arrangment of a bunch of nacelle pylons holding up the saucer is inexcusably lame- I'm not building one of those.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are acctually six boxes on the lower done of the Excelsior, rather than the four of the Constitution, so I think they may infact not be blocked by the pilons.

If the original Excelsior could saucer seperate, then the aft facing one would be clear as well.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't they just floodlights for the saucer illumination?

ALSO - as I said before - there is nothing to stop scanning THROUGH or BEYOND the ship... just refocus the sesnsors to a point beyond. I'm sure what ever they use can penetrate the hull.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While light does seem to come from the forward facing box, none of the others seem to shine any light on the ship, though they do glow.

And on the topic of sensors, is that what the grey boxes added to the Enterpise-B are supposed to be? They look like they could be a larger, earlier version of the Enterprise-D's upper and lower sensors.

-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought them to be sensor palettes of the swappable kind. If you compare that area to the original Excelsior model, it certainly looks replaceable to me - sorta like the lateral sensor array on Galaxies and Intrepids, which are also supposed to be modularized.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could be escape pod hatches...or pinball flippers made to deflect torpedos away from the bridge.

Targeting sensors for the phaser array seems the most likely thing though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the pinball flippers idea, great for swatting work bees when at starbase...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Impulse Engines and saucer computer core.

-
Full Size

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

You don't like the Excelsior neck do you? I suppose you've already gone too far to change it.

Nice work so far, though!

Andrew

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I'm using Jason's two Excelsior necks stacked on top of each other.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think he means the overal shape should not taper towards the secondary hull on an Excelsior neck piece (or two).
It's a slight thing.

Looking really cool so far- I'm suprised the computer core would not be right under the bridge though (at saucer's center, that is).

Hmmm...here's the "B" MSD for comparison.

Hmmm...I much prefer your large computer core over the nonexistant one on the "B" (mabye it was coming on tuesday?), particularly as this is a ship from the Dominion War and the Excelsior family of ships would have undergone many upgardes/refits over the decades.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps