Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelly class. (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Shelly class.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That MSD also makes the ship look much larger than I prefer.

I suppose I could be wrong about the neck, but the reference I was working from did have a slight taper in the neck, so when stacking two of them, I either have to make it look as though it tapers, then gets bigger than tapers again, or I have to double it. I choose to double it.

I could remove it though, if I was wrong about the taper being there.

As for the size of the core, I based that on the Enterprise-D's core size and made it a bit smaller. This is after all a smaller ship, but its also an older one and one would thing computers would get bigger as one goes backwards in time.

I could probably move it under the bridge, originally I had it a bit larger and I was having trouble fitting it and the turbolift under the bridge. After I made it a bit smaller, I forgot to see how it would look moved back.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should be no taper, and I do think the core looks best under the bridge- that way it links the ventral sensor pallate, computer and bridge directly, and places the core dead center of the saucer's defector grid..

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better?

-
Full Size

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
I'm using Jason's two Excelsior necks stacked on top of each other.

Ahhhhh! I see now. It just looked like a connie neck. Yeah as mentioned - I think it's the taper.

Oh seen your update... Isn't the excelsior neck... wider (ignoring the fact there are two there). It looks smaller in relation to the saucer than the Excelsior.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Possibly, if what I was using was wrong about one part of the neck, more errors aren't too hard to imagine. For the moment I'm going to leave it, since I'm not working in the neck yet, but I'll take a look at the dimentions of it again.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Deflector and surrounding sensors, secondary computer core and battle/emergency bridge.

-
Full Size

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INtresting, but I'd probably place those in the "neck"- the lower hangar bay is just aft of your secondary core's location.
Ideally, that space would hold elevators and such to move incoming shuttles/fighters up to a huge through-deck hangar that runs the length of the secondary hull.

I'd probbaly just move that secondary core/battle bridge to directly over the nav deflector (this would locate the battle bridge directly between the two torpedo rooms in the secondary hull....and I think that's sorta cool.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I was thinking of putting engineering in the neck, it would allow for the class to use more or less unmodified Excelsior saucers.

This would also allow me to place the anti-matter so that it would be close to both the torpedo launchers and the shuttles and the deuterium tank near the impulse engines, as well as allowing for easy ejection and let the core line up with the impulse engines like in the Constitution Refit.

I had been thinking that I'd devide incomeing and outgoing craft between the upper doors and using the lower ones for cargo facilities, but looking at it now the upper doors do look like they'd be somewhat difficult to use at high speeds.

I may have to rethink some things.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'd place all of engineering in the lower aft saucer (possibly extending into the "neck" a bit if you like) so that it serves close to the nacelles and impulse engines.

Antimatter storage pods can serve the launchers.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

No changes yet, but here's what it looks like so far as a post ST4 style graphic.

-
Full Size

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Very cool.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Opened this up again. Haven't done anything since the last time I opened it, but I had made changes since my last post here.

-
Full Size

I'm thinking the large block in the saucer was Deuterium tanks.

I moved the secondary computer core and bridge elsewhere in the secondary hull, but if thats still no good, off to the neck it goes I guess.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Looks good to me, though I think of engineering to be in that area, there's no conflict: the tanks can easily flank the department on both sides.
On the Shelly (because of it's nacelle placment in part) the tanks are ideal there.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Warp nacelle and Warp core. The Nacelle is there so that there is no overlapping. When I do the final graphic, I'll probably put the nacelle in its own section with a Nacelle Status subheading or something.

The core is outside because I hadn't worked out where exactly to put it. The size of it isn't final, more sections can be added to make it taller.

-
Full Size

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared with the bridge - the shuttles seem just a TAD too big.

I'd say the core would be in the upper section where the nacelles originate. Try to keep it all in the saucer section (incase it can seperate) or even make it a horizontal version.

Or a repetedly folded version - which I assume is what the Defiant is like. Don't ask me how that would work.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps