Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Static Galaxy-class spaceframes at UP's surface base? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Static Galaxy-class spaceframes at UP's surface base?
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever notice that in the satellite imagery shot of Utopia Planitia's ground-based facility (lower right hand pic in link) the structures inside the box seem to be a Galaxy-class Saucer on the left, Engineering section right and two warp nacelles above and below it?

Was there ever a hint from Sternbach/Okuda as to what this was supposed to be? A static prototype maybe, something to do fit checks with? Shouldn't be space-rated components, since they look almost completed and the UP drydocks have repeatedly shown assembly primarily occurs in orbit.

Parallels Display of Ground-Based UP

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*squint*

I can see the saucer, anyway... But the rest of the base looks rather off in scale.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaguely, but I dount it's intenional,
That top riht pic loks like something I once had growing n a tupperware dish in my fridge.

Coincidence, or was my moldy meal the basis for a secret Starfleet instilation?
You make the call.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see the saucer - on the left and the nacelles are at the top right and bottom right corners of that 'square' compound.

Heheheh maybe it's the Trinculo. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they tested whether a Galaxy can land in one piece, and when the answer was found to be "nope", they built a really really high concrete wall around the site to keep the press out?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheheh! Maybe some whales guiding the ship decided to beach themselves.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, maybe one frequency of the subspace sensor arrays interferes with the whales' navigation senses...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a zoomed-in comparison, courtesy Shippy:

-

Mark

--------------------

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the upload Mark.

So who would have been responsible for this graphic at this time during TNG? Sternbach was/is big on Mars-scapes, but I don't remember anybody ever questioning him or any of the other folks that actually took questions from fans at that time? Just curious to find out what, if any story, there was behind this image?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an uncanny likeness. Is it possible that they simply used an Ent D model to make the model for the barely visible ground facility, simply needing something that would look like buildings at a glance? The saucer does appear to have sections of hull missing suggesting that it's not completed. But I see no use in constructing a starship of that size on the surface. How would they get it into orbit?

What about the 4 long rectangular structures in the upper right corner? Could they be nacelles?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Rick can be asked directly about these things; both he and Mike still read the trekbbs.com site from time to time (less so now that neither is employed by the franchise).

Mark

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be a training facility, much like the Navy and Air Force use ships and aircraft frames for training for damage control and firefighting? Better to train in an atmosphere where an accident may not lead to having a vacuum bath.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

That might be plausible, but the components are separated...which wouldn't be as useful for training purposes. It's almost like it could be some kind of internal fit model (but why would you need two warp nacelles in that case?)

You can almost make out the unfinished parts of the saucer like Aban suggested. Although we've never seen it, maybe larger components "can" be assembled on the surface if it's lower than 1g? Lifted with a tractor beam from orbit, up to the UP yards for fitting out? Or towed up by smaller starships?

I may step over to bbs and give the question a shot over there. Anxious to find out what the intent was, if there was one.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

This reminds me a LOT of the rocket museums they have in Houston and Huntsville:

http://www.geocities.com/jassdude/saturnhunts.html

Note that they have a Saturn V on display... Disassembled.

Anyway, there's nothing to say that you CAN'T , or DON'T build GCS components on the ground and then heft them into orbit. We've never really seen a starship BUILT at UP, have we? Only under repair, or arguably being fitted out for active duty (Voyager et. al.). Would it make more sense to build a starship's major components in atmosphere, or (as the tech manuals imply) to build them wholesale in orbit?

There's a fairly lackluster early DS9 novel that deals with the reactivation of the Bajoran shipyards after the Cardassians left it. In particular, they were tasked with building an older-model Federation starship, the Ambassador-class USS Hannibal, from the keel up as a test to see if they could support Starfleet designs. It was a gound-based facility that used massive tractor beams to launch a completed starship into orbit upon completion. A lofty concept (sic), but not wholly impossible these days...

Mark

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting something to the surface or up to space requires overcoming only 1 gravity on Earth (even less on Mars, of course). That doesn't seem like much. An impulse engine that can get you up a quarter of light speed in a few seconds should have be able to handle that. A SIF able to hold a ship together with that kind of accleration and shields that can deflect nuclear explosions should be able to deal with the heat and forces of re-entry or take off.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.