Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp Delta pics (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Warp Delta pics
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
Oh, geeze. Guys, you need to calm down.

The model is labelled 'USS Emmette' in LW. Why? I have no idea. That's just what's it called.

As for the calendars, well, this year was TOS only, but I should have some stuff in next years (Ambassador, Excelsior and one or two other things).

I'll post stuff when i come back from holiday

m

We'll, you know how I get when I don't take my pills...

The post I made wasn't in anger of frustration, I just wanted some concrete proof. All to often, I find that what is considered source material can be intermingled with conjecture or fan-fiction to the point that what was never really said/heard/seen on Star Trek can somehow be interpreted as canon. My apologies if I came on to strong but I just wasn't sure of just who you where MattC and wanted to make sure this wasn't bad or made up info.

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Tells us the outcome of the battle over these pics.

The Nacelles of the Excelsior class are interesting - never really seen an image of the Excelsior from above and from the back like that before. That pod that the nacelle pylons go into... do you think that whole assembly can lift out of the main body?

Andrew

There's no battle. I'd just rather not have anything posted anywhere right now. I'm sick of being ripped off by the RPG clowns basically.

The Ambassador was built by Simon Coles and me with the kind input of Rick Sternbach, Lee Stringer and Ed Miarecki (who designed and built the minature). It weighs in around 800000 polys these days (in LW of course) with all lifeboats labelled indivually, hatches, warning labels, etc. Took me a while. Breaking my scaphoid in 3 places didn't help matters either. We're thinking of a version 3.0 at the moment. Depends on the workload really. As a side note, Doug Drexler (Ex-FI, Ex-Eden, designed the NX-01) went nuts when he saw it. Rick and Ed were quite touched as well. So, that was a good thi

Alain Rivard built the B, I textured it (it was nowhere near finished when those images were posted here). It's never been seen anywhere though it should be in a couple of publications coming up soonish. No idea about the pod. I do this for fun, not to analyse the engineering feasability of it all. I do that for my day job and that's enough for me (i design navigation systems for warships/subs/etc). Maybe, if you're lucky, I'll post up an image of the Excelsior (both NX and NCC versions) that Simon and I recently completed.

The Galaxy was built by Dave Clark with considerable work done to it by me to fix the multitude of geometry problems. It weighs in at 900K polys for the normal one, 1.2 million for the AGT version.

Tachy and Pedro's versions whilst amusing are low poly (though they're nice for distance shots). Mind, well, lets just say they hold up to having the camera a meter away from the surface.

Things have moved on since then.

m

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you from experiance that the only whay to stop people nicking your work for there sites & RPGs is to not post them and keep it all on your hard drive, which is of course rather silly, for what would be the point of doing the work for free if you can't share it with the world.

It's one of the realities of doing such work on the net that once it's out there, it's no longer under your control. You just hope that not too many people crop or edit out your credit stamp that even though the site doesn't credit you, it's still on the image itself, which at the end of the day is what's going to end up on people's hard drives.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AndrewR:
[qb] Alain Rivard built the B, I textured it (it was nowhere near finished when those images were posted here). It's never been seen anywhere though it should be in a couple of publications coming up soonish. No idea about the pod. I do this for fun, not to analyse the engineering feasability of it all.

Tachy and Pedro's versions whilst amusing are low poly (though they're nice for distance shots). Mind, well, lets just say they hold up to having the camera a meter away from the surface.

Things have moved on since then.

m

Moved on? Techniques have become more advanced or you knew of their model/gave input or something? I'm gathering you mean techniques in CGI modelling.

You can put the camera up close - awesome - so that means you could do a shot say up against the hull and all the info is still there - i.e. textures/hull plating etc? Wow.

I've always wanted to see a picture of someone looking out of one window (say on the Enterprise D and looking up to someone in another window nearby - there are a few places on the D where that works. Or looking out one window and seeing part of the hull. I wonder if we should have seen the rest of the hull receeding away when looking out Janeway's ready-room windows and the obs-lounge?

Oh the pods thing - that was a general statement to start a possible discussion on such things, we've got to do SOMETHING around here, y'know! [Smile]

Publications? Can you give us any ideas about things that are coming up that this work is for - just the Calendars?? Any chance of Unseen Frontier being back on the cards!?!

What other starships have you worked on?

Do you get to view the original models when you are designing/working on these ships or is it all from sketches/screen caps etc? Any work done on the obscure-esque Wolf-359 ships like the Challenger or the Cheyenne?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can tell you from experiance that the only whay to stop people nicking your work for there sites & RPGs is to not post them and keep it all on your hard drive, which is of course rather silly, for what would be the point of doing the work for free if you can't share it with the world.
However, there was an instance here (I know this because I was directly involved) where someone (We all know who now, but I promised to always keep my source anonymous) sent me the photos of the DS9 Tech manual kitbashed models, and instead of posting them openly, I invited Flare members to PM me with their email addresses, so that I could send the pics to them in one or two lump emails, with the proviso that they were not to be posted on the net. Eventually said source allowed public viewing, but my point is that it did work as far as keeping the pics under wraps.

I think it goes without saying that we all want to see the pics of the Emmette, but we also understand MattC's dilemma as well. Hopefully there can be a way around this that makes everyone happy.

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Moved on? Techniques have become more advanced or you knew of their model/gave input or something? I'm gathering you mean techniques in CGI modelling.

You can put the camera up close - awesome - so that means you could do a shot say up against the hull and all the info is still there - i.e. textures/hull plating etc? Wow.

I've always wanted to see a picture of someone looking out of one window (say on the Enterprise D and looking up to someone in another window nearby - there are a few places on the D where that works. Or looking out one window and seeing part of the hull. I wonder if we should have seen the rest of the hull receeding away when looking out Janeway's ready-room windows and the obs-lounge?

Oh the pods thing - that was a general statement to start a possible discussion on such things, we've got to do SOMETHING around here, y'know! [Smile]

Publications? Can you give us any ideas about things that are coming up that this work is for - just the Calendars?? Any chance of Unseen Frontier being back on the cards!?!

What other starships have you worked on?

Do you get to view the original models when you are designing/working on these ships or is it all from sketches/screen caps etc? Any work done on the obscure-esque Wolf-359 ships like the Challenger or the Cheyenne?

Move on as computers now support models of millions of polygons.

Yes, you can get that close. Quite neat really.

Other ships...plenty. All 7 enterprises in one way or another. Couple of Romulan things, Klingons, Cardassians, Borg. Having a break from it at the moment though.

And no, I don't get the originals, though folks are usually kind enough to supply me with adequate reference. John Eaves and Lee Stringer have been particularly helpful on that front.

Publications, well there's the calendars. I know there's a Yesterday's Enterprise image in the 2007 one (it has my Ambassador in it). AS for other publications, I know there's another book coming. 126 pages of CGI starship goodness. But that's all I know (well, apart from the fact that the Excelsior, Ent-B, Galaxy and Ambassador we did are in it).

Anyway, back to my vacation.

M.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more question to pluck you from holiday goodness...

Did you use Bernd's evaluation of the differences between the Enterprise C and the ??Yamaguchi/Excalibur" when doing the YE pic for 2007? I never realised there were so many differences between the two.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
However, there was an instance here (I know this because I was directly involved) where someone (We all know who now, but I promised to always keep my source anonymous) sent me the photos of the DS9 Tech manual kitbashed models, and instead of posting them openly, I invited Flare members to PM me with their email addresses, so that I could send the pics to them in one or two lump emails, with the proviso that they were not to be posted on the net. Eventually said source allowed public viewing, but my point is that it did work as far as keeping the pics under wraps.

You make it sound so. . . inclusive. The reality was anything but. In fact, it was made quite clear that the pics were going to be disseminated only to a chosen few who'd then quite happily discuss them openly, while those of us not blessed to be Acolytes Of The True Church Of Fanwankery were left to grovel in the dirt hoping for maybe a chance to touch the hems of your garments. It was the sheer outrage which that policy generated that led to the eventual widespread publication of the images - that, and the fact that one of the Chosen Few didn't agree with the policy and sent them to the rest of us anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm...why are we taking the conversation in this direction, guys?

I, for one, would actually like to *see* these pics that Matt has!

And you wonder why Okuda and Sternbach don't post here... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

I, for one, would actually like to *see* these pics that Matt has!

Matt said, after his holidays. Now shush! [Smile]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see them as well.

But - I'm not going to jump through hoops for the privilege! Matt, it's your choice - either publish them or don't.

And, why do we have to keep beating ourselves up because Mike'n'Rick prefer TrekBBS or whatever? Historically it's always been the dominant discussion Forum, while we've remained an eccentric alternative. The likes of Okuda et al made a decision a long time ago to generally stick to one Forum rather than try to follow several, and who can blame them, they're busy people. . . We might not agree with their choice (and we don't have a hope of them altering it) but we should understand it.

It's also a circular process - O&S post there because it has lots of members and discussions, and there are lots of members and discussions because O&S post there. Mind you, I don't know how they keep track of it all, because most of the members are idiots and the discussions are shit.

Sorry, this is all getting off-topic, I'm sure to have someone anxiously wringing their hands that I'm driving off yet another valuable source! But I will say this: I know the (bad) reputation Flare has in some circles. I also know that over the years I've probably played more than my fair share in creating that reputation! But any Forum like this remains the sum of its parts, and I've never found anywhere else with as many amusing, interesting and well-informed people as we have here. Give me that over illegible posts by sycophantic illiterates any day.

So, I'm going to come out and a- a- a- *grits teeth* a-pol-o-gise to Matt. I wasn't trying to be adversarial in any responses I might have made to your posts. We just have a history of demanding proof for what (to us) appear to be sweeping statements that we should just accept. I'd love to see photos of the USS M. Emmett Walsh but failing that I'd say that in this situation your credentials are enough for me to provisionally accept the ship as having that name.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

AS for other publications, I know there's another book coming. 126 pages of CGI starship goodness. But that's all I know (well, apart from the fact that the Excelsior, Ent-B, Galaxy and Ambassador we did are in it).

Hmm, that's the second time in the last 12 hours I've heard mention a new CGI ship book. Meni mentioned at Trek BBS that Mike Okuda had written up a description of his SotL calendar USS Bonaventure (NCC-1000) for inclusion in a book.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Yup, I remember you emailing me for permission a couple of years back for some pics from my site. Most webmasters wouldn't have bothered.

And he asked me if he could use a scan I took of Andy Probert's Klingon Scout from an old Starlog.

Hmm, but I didn't ask Starlog if I could scan it... Opps [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well that's something that concerns me on some pages, where people with scanners are credited for other people's work. It's not as though scanning a page from the Star Trek Magazine is such a huge accomplishment, although if someone tracks down a rare publication then that's something different.

In my case I took some photos of models at a Trek exhibition in London.

Anyway, on the subject of SotL 2007, Andy Probert's posted a teaser for his contribution.

http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder_ILLUSTRATION/Probert_ILLUSTRATIONS.html

The slanted walls might give an idea of what part of the ship it is. I'm hoping it's the main shuttlebay, but the few clues on the page make it sound like something more obscure. Maybe even dolphin obscure.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The question asked is "what are these people looking at" - I think it's just Spot taking a dump on the carpet! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps