Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp Delta pics (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Warp Delta pics
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Him: "Yup, the sign definitely says *CAUTION: WET CEMENT* in Betazoid."
Her: "Bugger! I don't speak that!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You make it sound so. . . inclusive. The reality was anything but. In fact, it was made quite clear that the pics were going to be disseminated only to a chosen few who'd then quite happily discuss them openly, while those of us not blessed to be Acolytes Of The True Church Of Fanwankery were left to grovel in the dirt hoping for maybe a chance to touch the hems of your garments. It was the sheer outrage which that policy generated that led to the eventual widespread publication of the images - that, and the fact that one of the Chosen Few didn't agree with the policy and sent them to the rest of us anyway.
Lee, i can see why you and others would think that way. But there was a bit more going on than what you knew. And since the matter has been over for some time, I'll just explain now:

When said person sent me the pics, the first thing I did was to ask him for permission to post them on Flare. He was reticent at first, so instead I sent the pics to Bernd & the rest of the then "Wolf 359 Research team" not because I was trying to be an "Acolyte Of The True Church Of Fanwankery" as you so distinctly put it, but because Bernd et al. would have been able to make computer graphic diagrams of the ships so that you all could at least see what they looked like, if not to view the actual models themselves. I don't know how to make computer diagrams. They did. If I did know, I'd have done it without showing the pics to anyone. And yes, I also knew that I could trust them not to distribute the pics. Not that I wouldn't trust anyone else at Flare, but in my mind they were the logical people to send the pics to at the time (because of our loyalty to other sources like Okuda & Sternbach who sent us pics in the past)

In the meantime, while this was going on, I was still in contact with my source, & was still asking him if I could make the pics public. But by that time, everyone was acting like such children about it (and please don't say you all weren't, because you were), that someone just showed the pics anyway.

The reason I'm writing this is because your post seems (to me anyway) to be a personal attack on me and the few others who make up the group, and I'm simply defending myself. Should I have done things differently? Maybe. But I was the one who contacted the guy, and I was just trying to do the right thing while trying my best to let you guys at Flare be in on everything step-by-step. In the future, I'll just keep my mouth shut when I get a picture of something until I get permission to show it.

NOw back to our regularly scheduled Flare topic: The Emmette! [Wink]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the sign says "Hey ladies, this season the hot hairstyle mimics a nun's wimple!" and the woman is thinking "I'm in on the ground floor on this one."
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a toilet.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, there are just some things that aren't done. Toilets on Trek? As if.

Once again I have to disagree with Duckie, although I don't like having to do so if it's going to be interpreted as a personal attack when it's not intended to be. But the facts are: a) the pics didn't just remain within the W359RT, but were sent to others who were deemed worthy; and, b) this supposedly-select group then proceeded to carry out a discussion in a public forum when it could just as easily have been conducted via e-mail, IRC, ICQ, whatever.

You were right not to publish them without first securing permission (I use the word publish because this is, after all, a public forum, no login is required to view, and we do have lurkers; anything posted here is immediately in the public domain and you won't have any real control over it from then on in). What we found unforgivable was the sheer disrespect that was shown by just acting like you could all happily chat away on your own private matter, ignoring the rest of this community. And that's what was going on.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I think this is highly relevant to the subject at hand, it might better be discussed on some other forum - if there's any escalation of controversy, that is.

Not yet, though. Not yet. I'm very much looking forward to hearing whether MattC can provide pictures, whether he wishes to do so, and whether a workable way for doing so can be found.

Timo Saloniemi

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you guys have been using your time constructively...
MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
One more question to pluck you from holiday goodness...

Did you use Bernd's evaluation of the differences between the Enterprise C and the ??Yamaguchi/Excalibur" when doing the YE pic for 2007? I never realised there were so many differences between the two.

Andrew

Nope. I had a copy of the list that Ed Miarecki made for me over the differences.

It doesn't precisely follow the Ent-C minature, primarily because that thing was underdeveloped. And since I work with a few shipyards (for my day day) I just use the excuse of design changes within the yard as each hull is built. [Wink]

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my vacation.It's 9:15 on a saturday night, my gf is in the jacuzzi gesturing...so I gotta go. [Wink]

m.

m.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Matt...home from your vacation yet? [Wink]
MattC
Member # 1391

yeah, but I'm real busy at the moment.

m

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tease.
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the missing part of Proberts teaser.

Since Enterprise season 3 I've been rethinking that bit on the Enterprise D plan that says Cetacean ops.

Aquatic Xindi, anyone?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess we are about to see one version of it on the calendar.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.