Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of the Line art book coming (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line art book coming
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a great fan of the Starship Spotter text, The guy they got to write the text is decidedly TOS-era biased, which shows in the final product. Doesn't really help that the book is biased to the TNG-era.

Also, SS was a sort of stopgap project while Unseen Frontier was being worked on. At least they managed to get that out before UF got the plug pulled. Also, UF is Mojo's title. Whatever the name of the book, it won't be that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be called (cunningly enough) 'Ships Of The Line'?
Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where everyone has gone before

Still nice to see things all in one place...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else seen this page from Simon&Schuster about their 40th anniversary books? Scroll down to the (not suprisingly named) Ships of the Line entry and click on the picture for a slightly bigger view of the cover. I like how they show the various ships there (including the Botany Bay), but notice that we can see the underside of the Enterprise-J! It's obviously not fully canon, but it's about as close as they come. Interesting that they seem to have given it two deflectors, a circular one in the usual spot, plus the oblong one that we've seen before at the saucer front.

B.J.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that the NCC 1701-J looked a whole lot better topwise.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say we wait until a better picture. [Smile]

And get out your rulers! Perspective aside, it looks like everything is to scale in this picture. We haven't seen anything like this before, have we?

And what would be new models for this book? The Ambassador and Constellation are new, I think. The Botany Bay is a little odd to be in that lineup.. And what's that under the Chaffee?

Mark

PS - Hey, the Akira is right next to the NX-01! AND LOOK, THEY'RE COMPLETELY DISTINGISHABLE!!! Sorry, old pet peeve. [Smile]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but perspective's a bitch, as usual. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ambassador and Constellation have both been in the Ships of the Line calendars before. Snazzy cover, but the blurb definitely gives the impression that there won't be anything new. Poop. [Frown]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
And what's that under the Chaffee?

It looks like it might be TNG's Type 15 Shuttlepod or the Type 6 Shuttlecraft.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess that thing under the Chaffe is an NX-01 shuttlepod...no idea what that thing is to the left of the defiant.

Enterprise E seems to be pregnant- her secondary hull is just not that droopy.

Enterprise J looks pretty strange, but less so than the shock of seeing the D for the first time, I'll tell ya.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The thing to the left of the Defiant ithe Botany Bay / DY-500 model we've seen before. The Chaffee must have nine lives... I don't think there's anything special about that model, and yet it's been in nearly every calendar!

Here's the image on Flareupload to simplify things...

-

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus H. FUCK. Why can Shatner just not let Kirk DIE??

On the nice side, I'm squeeing at the reissue of some of the OLD books. I really liked the old runs & have picked up naught one of the so-called "relaunch" titles. These authors they get...no sense of story. Too wrapped up in injokes & asides & details.

The Fiction Companion intrigues me.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah the Ent-J looks really thin.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it has been dieting. How nice of you to notice.
MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My my my, look at my little Ambassador (galaxy and excelsior too) [Smile]

M.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps