Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Amazing Studio Model pics! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Amazing Studio Model pics!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this guy has lot of cool shit! Did see his model of the tripod from "War of the Worlds"? It's looks cooler that I what I remember from the movie.

Is he God?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but that model is not a prop- it's an incredible resin model that costs about $300 and was mastered by the same guy that worked on the movie's model (it's not all done via CGI).

Worthwhile- it's 24" tall!

I'm very tempted to buy one and converty it to match the book's description (mainly by adding a seperate "heat ray" box-like device and the tubelike Black Smoke chemical weapon that was, sadly ignored by the Speilberg movie).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be noted that the aft torpedo tube of the TMP K't'inga is also its aft motion control rod mounting hole.

So even though the model has this parabolic dish thingy covering the aft hole in those photographs, the dish appears to only be cosmetic fluff for hiding the banality of the "insert rod here" feature when the model goes on display. The dish did not appear in the actual movie (neither in the original version or the DE).

Jein's later, smaller model has a different covering over the aft motion control hole - a complex inverted-Y greeblie bit that may or may not feature an aft torpedo tube of smaller caliber. This is what is seen in the CGI ships and the Qo'noS 1, too.

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
No, but that model is not a prop- it's an incredible resin model that costs about $300 and was mastered by the same guy that worked on the movie's model (it's not all done via CGI).

Worthwhile- it's 24" tall!

I'm very tempted to buy one and converty it to match the book's description (mainly by adding a seperate "heat ray" box-like device and the tubelike Black Smoke chemical weapon that was, sadly ignored by the Speilberg movie).

Hmm...that sure would be interesting. Also it should be mentioned that in the novel, it was said that the tripod had no joints but rather moved its legs and arms by a series of metal plates that slid across each other. Don't know what that would look like though.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most faithful models and illustrations make the legs out to be kinda an internal structure with armor covering -like an old suit of armor.
The overall shape of the body is correct- kind of a "mailkmaid's stool" mushroom shape with the legs under it like a stool's legs (probably Well's inspiration).

I liked the legs on this latest WOTW tripod- except for when they raise up: the "toes" just dangle akwardly and slap back down as the leg lowers.

The CGi version from the (mostly awful) Pendragon movie is an intresting depiction- plus they included the Martian Flying Machine!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.