Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The NX-01's Forgotten Weapon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The NX-01's Forgotten Weapon
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the novelization was very descriptive. I mean there was no extra content as in expanded/added scenes. She just felt the need to describe every little detail. I mean if you thought that was bad you should see the sentence before it:

"The ship took a compressive dive into the clear, burst out, and trumpeted her presence in the sky."

Boy that's some starship.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We call it plasma, but whatever the Klingon (or Suliban) term for it, it was just ionized gas.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there was some extra content. I distinctly remember Mayweather thanking Reed for sponsoring him into the Academy or something...

(Also, T'pol outfit is "commisioner uniform" [Smile] )

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't look around (uh oh oh)

T'commisionner's in town (uh oh oh)

Anyhoo, I'd always been hoping that the phase cannons would be surpassing, but not completely replacing, the plasma cannons. There was this image I'd wanted to see of the Enterprise blazing away with plasma cannon, phase cannon, AND spatial torpedoes, sorta like what the White Star did...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey anyone remember that the mirror universe nx-01 also fired a plasma weapon?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Christ, was that a novelisation - or an Icelandic saga?

quote:
Erik Njorl, son of Frothgar, leaves his home to seek Hangar the Elder at the home of Thorvald Nlodvisson, the son of Gudleif, half brother of Thorgier, the priest of Ljosa water, who took to wife Thurunn, the mother of Thorkel Braggart, the slayer of Cudround the powerful, who knew Howal, son of Geernon, son of Erik from Valdalesc, son of Arval Gristlebeard, son of Harken, who killed Bjortguaard in Sochnadale in Norway over Cudreed, daughter of Thorkel Long, the son of Kettle-Trout, the half son of Harviyoun Half-troll, father of Ingbare the Brave, who with Isenbert of Gottenberg the daughter of Hangbard the Fierce. . .

quote:
Actually, I've changed my mind - that passage reads like it's been translated from a Japanese manual. I'm sure I've seen the phrase "luminous announcement" in relation to a warning indicator light on my Sony TV.

Lee, I'll just come right out and say it: I love you.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS I'm not gay, btw.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the same, I've got a warm fuzzy feeling anyway. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit, I've got all that posted on my wall...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fame at last.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny . . . I never thought about the upper ports for the plasma cannons. I always thought they came from the mysterious black hood scoop area.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a slightly related question..has anyone ever thought about what kind of recoil a plasma cannon might have? Phasers are obviously recoiless, but plasma is real live matter and should have a Newtonian equal-but-opposite reaction, right? If we knew what kind of plasma it was, its density, and its muzzle velocity maybe we could actually work it out...anyone have *any* educated guesses, non-canon novel references, anything?

Oh, and Mighty Monkey of Mim, I love your sig ;p

--------------------
 -

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phasers do have a kick, even though it only manifests at the receiving end...

I'd say recoil is a null and void issue in starship weapon applications, because starships already control their inertia by artificial means and routinely defy Newton's laws. And apparently recoil is similarly under control in handguns, be they phasers or plasma throwers.

Indeed, one might surmise that both phasers and plasma guns have immense kick, which just happens to be negated by subspace fields or whatever. We have seen a hand phaser send a heavily built man flying through the air (ST3), and hits from plasma pistols can also topple a big brute as if he were hit by a .50 cal rifle bullet.

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In recently re-watching some early ENT episodes, there were a couple of scenes with Hoshi getting used to the new phase pistols versus the old EM-33 plasma gun. She was having trouble with things like particle drift and recoil, stuff that she'd gotten used to with handling the EM-33 but didn't need to compensate for with the phase pistol.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe people are sent flying by phaser hits due to some energetic reaction occuring at the point of impact, and not because of any, you know, velocity deal.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps