Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rationalizing the AGT Enterprise-D Tech... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Rationalizing the AGT Enterprise-D Tech...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think we should all applaud Bernd for taking time out from his no-doubt hectic training schedule as part of the Germany squad. 8)

I don't buy this argument that if the E-D+ has three nacelles, then so should a (older) ship like the Pasteur. They're very different kinds of ship, built at different times and to different design philosophies. Humanity are adaptable, so where once warp fields harmed subspace, so they came up with nacelles, and new field geometries. If the E-D remained at the forefront of technological discovery, then it might well be enhanced - only to suffer as methods of faster propulsion emerged that didn't require the 3rd nacelle. Humanity are also all too human - so they might choose to enhance their battleships before they got around to their hospital ships. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spherical hull it may have a difference in geometry, with the smaller coils maybe it was easier to swap them out. The ease of making the smaller coils as oposed to making the big ones, plus material uses would have been lower. If the third nacelle on E-D+ came from a wreck.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe warp 13 is nothing in that era, and while the Pasteur was pushing to maintain it, the Enterprise was barely ticking over.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[quote]1) achieve a higher speed (by pushing more power into subspace). Right, the Pasteur could accomplish the same with two smallish nacelles. Also, the additional power must come from somewhere. The ship would probably need a second warp core for that, making it a very cluttered design (which is what it looks like though).[/i]
Yeah, but for all we know, the Pasteur could be an even bigger refit than the Enterprise at this point.
Mabye in the AGT future, all starship's nacelles look like those on the Pasteur.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1) achieve a higher speed (by pushing more power into subspace). Right, the Pasteur could accomplish the same with two smallish nacelles. Also, the additional power must come from somewhere. The ship would probably need a second warp core for that, making it a very cluttered design (which is what it looks like though).
Yeah, but for all we know, the Pasteur could be an even bigger refit than the Enterprise at this point.
Mabye in the AGT future, all starship's nacelles look like those on the Pasteur.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I hope not.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps