Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Emmette (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Emmette
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still some ambiguity there...

Was the name actually painted on the ship (that is, textured on the model)?

And was the model finished to a level of detail comparable to the warp delta or the half-saucer, or perhaps left completely untextured from certain angles, or something in between?

Looking forward to hearing all the answers and giving nothing in return, as usual. [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there was this sketch and it was labled "Streamrunner" but then...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt, I am familiar with your expressed grievances with the online community regarding the theft of your own work, but I am curious as to why you are so reluctant to release this image. You didn't work on Enterprise, did you? This model doesn't represent your work, and I very much doubt that Paramount is going to be overly concerned with the distribution of an image of an unfinished model from a canceled television show that will almost certainly see no further use within the franchise. I don't see how it could appreciably compromise either the financial or creative entitlements of anyone involved.

Just a thought,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are talking about this picture, right? (Note: nope, I didn't steal it. This open directory was linked by MattC himself, over in whatever topic the Ambassador pics featured in).

Which IMO, quite clearly shows that the forward bits of the vessel are hardly detailed. Seems quite unlikely anyone bothered to put a name on it (I mean.. even Intrepid wasn't given any decals, and that one actually had a name in the script). But LW files need a name, so someone called it USS Emette, after whatever an Emmette would be.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the one Matt linked to me. However, I think tha the textures in this picture are only low-rez ones applied for temp work or storyboards.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Matt did say that's what it was called, not what it was labeled, which is a completely different question.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, all this hoopla over a pic that apparently was already shown somewhere else. Let's all collectively feel stupid now...:-)

Anyway, now that we can all see the pic, I can say that I for one am more impressed with it than what's been discussed. It seems that the underside (what we see in the credits) matches the top view completely. And it is quite different from the Warp Delta as to be a completely separate class of ship.
And although the front isn't very detailed, I still like it. It's the most believable-looking ship design for Enterprise's time period, IMO.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's most intersting is that, although it's a delta-shape, it has a saucer.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...ROUUUUND!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, re: "USS"...maybe it's an American ship.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, for the unrendered WIP it looks about right, a rendered image should look pretty good.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What's most intersting is that, although it's a delta-shape, it has a saucer.
I'd say it's more of an "inner-tube" or a "donut" than a saucer.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's a step in the right direction. After all, something must have made them view saucers as a good idea.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Yeah, those bug-eyed, grey-skinned aliens that kept abducting them and giving them anal probes.

--------------------

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't think why anyone would travel a few million miles to stick stuff up your arse.....but hey, whatever floats yer boat.

M

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps