Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hand Phasers and Heat (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hand Phasers and Heat
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/
And you probably look up information on the State of Israel in the Hezbollah database... [Mad]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'Oh! First Contact, I remember now. But then again, he was speaking to sonmeon from the past, perhaps he remembered in time that saying she would have interphasetransmogrified him would have got little more than a blank look.

(and then there's the novelisation, that changes the phaser setting to level 1, which would have ghiven him a "nasty rash". . .)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd, no, the official site of the Iranian gov't.

Or they just use a broader definition for vapourisation. It isn't like words don't get diluted and polluted every day.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
D'Oh! First Contact, I remember now. But then again, he was speaking to sonmeon from the past, perhaps he remembered in time that saying she would have interphasetransmogrified him would have got little more than a blank look.

Without wishing to sound smug (yet succeeding all the same) I actually saw that one coming [Wink]

I'd suggest that such an explanation is taking things too far even for a sci fi analysis forum! If it was the case that the true term would be meaningless to her and that the process involved has nothing to do with vapourisation of any kind, then why would it even occur to Picard to use the word vapourised? This would imply that he would become a cloud of red mist, rather than just wink out of existence. Under such circumstances he would simply have said "kill" and given her a meaningful look.

So nyah [Razz]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because Picard is the CO of the Fed's flagship, making him uber smart? Or, being an archeologist and all he has a decent grasp on what would have been understood way back when, especailly with as often as E-? as gone back there is could have been part of his E-? command training.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK then, so we'll just blame the Universal Translator. Picard was actually speaking French, and Lily was speaking, er, um, Gaelic!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negronic. Or Jive.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Picard is speaking French, why on earth does the translator give him a damned English accent? Oi, that's my favorite little pet peeve from TNG. The Earl-Grey drinking, Proper-English speaking FRENCHMAN.

EDIT: As well as when Beverly pronounced 'croissant' with a French accent. You're speaking ENGLISH, you don't use the *loanword* like it was in the original language.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

The points you made also show the 'culturalisation' that the future has undergone, with travel made easy. Plus, with Picard having 'run off' from the farm he could very well have wanted to change enough not to be a frenchy, so he changed as much as possible.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"EDIT: As well as when Beverly pronounced 'croissant' with a French accent. You're speaking ENGLISH, you don't use the *loanword* like it was in the original language."

Some people would.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
The points you made also show the 'culturalisation' that the future has undergone, with travel made easy. Plus, with Picard having 'run off' from the farm he could very well have wanted to change enough not to be a frenchy, so he changed as much as possible.

Only later in life to revert back to his French pride. Watch "The Last Outpost", he's very much proud of his French heritage there.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, for having "culturalized" as a result of having run away, his brother, sister in law, and nephew sure speak just like him...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, has everyone forgotten that England suddenly remembered that they had a rightful claim to the French throne and invaded France in 2070? Since this is France, they, of course, immediately surrendered.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, some people WOULD pronounce 'croissant' with a French accent, but some people are pretentious pricks and I don't think that's in Beverly's character...the whole Dr. Reyga thing notwithstanding. Although I don't suppose you can call 'blatant disregard for the burial rites of other cultures' PRETENTIOUS...although...it might be 'pretentious' to think that you've got the RIGHT to disregard them.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Croissandwich.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps