Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rationalizing Trek Worlds With New Planetary Definitions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rationalizing Trek Worlds With New Planetary Definitions
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the eggheads:

"A planet is a celestial body that (a) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (b) is in orbit around a star, and is neither a star nor a satellite of a planet."

What in Trek becomes invalidated with these new definitions?

-The "penal asteroid" of Rura Penthe would simply be a planet, though Enterprise mostly rectified this anyway.

-How are comets classified here? We've seen any number of spheroid comets in the show.

-That "Rogue Planet" would still be one, though it still makes no sense how it could support life.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the FAU has used a different set of definitions.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rura Penthe reference was just a gaffe, anyway. Anything that's got Earth-like gravity and a breathable atmosphere is obviously a planet.

As for the others... meh. I'm not going to do any retconning to help the pinheads at the IAU. As far as I'm concerned, Sol V still refers to Jupiter!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just my imagination, or did Trek manage to avoid ever saying that the Sol system had such-and-such many planets? I don't remember any such reference, nor did a cursory search find one.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Worlds of the Federation book said the Sol system had 10 planets, although I don't think it identified the extra one. And of course it was completely non-canon anyway.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think GR thought that more would be added, or any removed, so it was probably never mentioned. ENT would have been the only one to be new enough to add anything.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think comets should stay comets, regardless of their shape. At least if we're referring to the "dirty snowball" type.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to tell the difference from a "snowy dirtball"? Would one measure the percentage of each to derive at a determination?

They should just up the size, but, grandfather in Pluto.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think GR thought that more would be added, or any removed, so it was probably never mentioned. ENT would have been the only one to be new enough to add anything.
Then again, Asimov dropped a tenth planet into his Foundation universe just for the heck of it, in "Pebble in the Sky". And no, that planet wasn't the titular pebble - the planet played no role whatsoever in the story. It was just a natural assumption for Asimov to think that not all the planets would have been found in the 1950s yet.

Would matters have been any different in that respect in the 1960s?

Timo Saloniemi

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I do not know, but considering his story lines were to be, mainly, set in other solar systems I do not think he really gave ours much thought, and those that were set in this one were on Sol. Had his stories been more oriented to our system things may have been different.

I guess this is a better answer than the last guess I made. After reading it again I wasn't all that happy with it. Why worry about the one people know about when your job is to explore(create) new ones?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and those that were set in this one were on Sol."

That had to be hard on the characters' feet.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But all the cool stuff happens at night anyway.

I mean, in modern TV scifi, it does.

Timo Saloniemi

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Well, and the rest of their bodies as well.

Sol III.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for the others... meh. I'm not going to do any retconning to help the pinheads at the IAU. As far as I'm concerned, Sol V still refers to Jupiter!
Sol V is jupiter no matter if Pluto is Sol VIII or not...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not if Ceres was a planet (again).
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps