Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rationalizing Trek Worlds With New Planetary Definitions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rationalizing Trek Worlds With New Planetary Definitions
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that the population clause is in effect for planethood (i.e. a planet cannot be one of a massive number of other bodies, i.e. it must've been a substantial enough development in the system to have largely cleared its neighborhood), Ceres is not a concern.

Since we have ascertained that Trek avoided mention of the number of planets in the Sol System . . . anyone recall any planets that were part of an asteroid belt or anything?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, now. But the original proposal meant that Ceres would've become Sol V.

There was a planet in DS9 that was either inside or very close to an asteroid belt... was it Soukara in "Change of Heart"?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although my original sentiment about not needing to rationalize changes in scientific standards for past shows, one thought did just occur to me...

Could a class-D planet(oid), like Regula I, mean "dwarf"? That might be strangely appropriate...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that M = Minshara as re-estblished in Enterprise, and O = Oceanic per Voyager, it's not necessarily to far off these days. Classes L, Y, etc. might take some doing, though.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L is marginaL. Y is obviously deYmone.

A D-class world is generally considered to be a asteroid/moon type of deal. It COULD be a dwarf...but maybe it's more an intermediate stage: a dwarf that has "cleared its orbit" & is larger than other dwarves (dwarfs?) but isn't really large enough to cross the "classical" threshold.

i would like to note that geologic status seems to play a part in classing as well, & that Pluto is noted as being class C...perhaps for Cold...or Cut.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Except that Pluto's designation only comes from Star Charts... a good resource, to be sure, but non-canon and thus non-binding. I'd be happy to re-designate Pluto as a class-D. Pluto, Charon, Ceres, Xena... they're all best described as "essentially a great rock in space." [Wink]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that they're not. Pluto and the other KBOs are mostly frozen water and gases, with a rocky core. Ceres and the other bodies in the asteroid belt are all promarily rocky that formed from pyroclastic means, like the other rocky inner planets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.