Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise J Underside (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Enterprise J Underside
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The newer one looks like a drawing.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very odd. I suppose they could've lost the original mesh, only the textures look the same. And you'd expect them to have recreated the front section of the saucer, since it's one of the most distinctive design elements.

I'm guessing people will just say it's a refit. Simplest explanation for a rather obscure ship.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
Or try this:

The top image is the ship destined to exist before the events in First Contact transpired. The second image (as seen on TV) was the ship as it actually turned out when, thanks to the timeline contamination caused by the incidents in First Contact, the pre-Federation Starfleet was significantly altered from that which Kirk et al would recognise from their history texts. Among these differences are design philosophies and operating doctrines which favour deflectors integrated into the saucer and discourage secondary hulls.

Yes, I'm afraid I am a proponent of the un-announced and officially un-acknowledged "reboot based on First Contact" theory. It's really the only way to make sense of alot of the prequel series in relation to TOS.

In summary: we're looking at two different timeline designs.

Oh Lurker don't try to rationalize it, they just phucked up big time.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The revised E-J is entertainingly reminiscent of the pre-TMP McQuarrie Enterprise designs.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either of them looks like it could make a nice design, but the texturing looks like I did it.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
Or try this:

Oh Lurker don't try to rationalize it, they just phucked up big time.
Er... I thought that's what we do here?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but we have a list of things that defy rationalisation - or rather, reasonable rationalisation. The registry of the Yamato, the length of the D- (oops, managed to stop myself in time there), you know, all that SWDAO stuff. This should probably be there.

In fact, it's a non-issue. A non-canon-however-well-associated-the-people-behind-a-calendar-might-be-with-Paramount view of a ship doesn't match a canon-seen-onscreen one. Big deal.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a single canon on it.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smack*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They tend to propel the ship in an odd manner, if fired unevenly you get a good spin going though.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they didn't even attempt to make the new (reconstructed?) bottom view match the top view. Otherwise the ship would have the deflector dish at the forward rim of the saucer visible from below, and the nacelle pylons would form a "V" and not be horizontal. At least that much is just too obvious.

Both versions are unbalanced and ugly anyway. They look like they were built using CDs and pencils.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you think about it, they were built using pencils and CDs.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but remember that the E-J we saw was from one potential future. The Battle of Whatever Five may not happen now that the sphere builders and their machines were destroyed. So, it's possible that this newer E-J could be the "real" one from the main timeline.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the E-J will go Retro like the Mustang and PT Cruiser....yeah...

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Ahh, but remember that the E-J we saw was from one potential future. The Battle of Whatever Five may not happen now that the sphere builders and their machines were destroyed. So, it's possible that this newer E-J could be the "real" one from the main timeline.

Mark

It was the Battle of Procyon V and it featured the Ent-J, a Nova class, a Prometheus, the "Dauntless", a Vorcha, and the sphere builders' giant space dildo. At Memory Alpha it's stated that the battle was part of an alternate timeline, but I thought it was part of the main timeline. Wasn't it because of their defeat by the Federation at that battle that the Sphere Builders tried to destroy Earth in the 22nd Century?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps