Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc)
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've probably heard about Paramount flogging off all their priceless Star Trek artifacts to the highest bidder in "celebration" of the 40th Anniversary. Well a few weeks ago the auction pieces were in London, so I went along and took pictures. Unfortunately only a very small portion of the auctioned props, models and uniforms were on display, but what was there was still a joy to see up close.

The Defiant, a battle damaged Reliant model and the Ambassador class model were the three miniatures on display:
http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/auction/defiant10.jpg

http://www.johnpearse.partsking.net/auction/reliant4.jpg

The rest of the pictures are on my website. If the above pics are too huge, feel free to change them to links.

[ August 28, 2006, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, those model shots are GOLD!

However, I'm wondering about the geneology of that smaller Reliant model. I'ts obviously not the big one used in TWOK and various subsequent appearances; where could it come from? It has the destroyed torpedo pod from the movie (which has never been replicated in the franchise as another ship), but otherwise..? Perhaps a distance model? It looks almost the scale of the commercial AMT model, but where could this model have been used?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tag said it was the model used in TWoK. Apparently there are two sets of rollbars and nacelles with different amounts of damage. I think it might've actually been shown in one of those behind the scenes DVD featurettes once.

I wondered whether it was used to mold the AMT/ERTL models, only it actually seemed smaller than the commercial kit.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOT DAMN! I wish I had some money saved away... say, a few hundred grand... I'd buy one of those models in a second!

Anyone notice how the rear panel on the Defiant is completely different from how it's appeared in any other references, like the DS9:TM?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...You know while that Reliant model is battle damaged, its also really dirty don't you think? So are the Ambassador and Defiant. Still I'd buy the Ambassador if I were a rich man...la la la la la la la la la.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Reliant definitely looks like shit, plus the decals on the Ambassador don't match (they say both Yamaguchi and Excalibur). The Defiant might look a little dusty, but it's in good shape. I'd buy either that or maybe the Ambassador. (*sings* "If I were a rich man...")

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The labelling on the Ambassador is very telling. It confirms that the last time we saw any new footage of the model is "Emissary", and that the only use prior to that would be the shot in "Redemption II", which makes sense.

Also, that the models look so crappy is also a good thing - it means that no one has altered them since production. A professional model guy would be needed to restore the pieces to display quality, but of course that would be up to the final owner.

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Also, could somebody update those images to some damn links? I didn't notice it as much on the big screen at work, but I'm on a smaller window arrangement at home, and I can't even see the entire damn page, because of the stretching.

Haven't you people heard of thumbnails? It is possible to do with UBB code, you know. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No scroll bar?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool model shots, Johnny! What's more, they (along with the older pictures on your page) have served to convince me now more than ever of my thoughts on the question of whether the Nebula seen in FC was the Leeds or the Farragut. (It was, in fact, both.)

EXHIBIT A: The Ambassador model labeled as the Yamaguchi on the dorsal saucer and nacelles and as the Excalibur on the ventral saucer and secondary hull. Similarly, the Nebula model was labeled on top as the Farragut on the bottom as the Leeds. (Pictures and discussion in older thread; Take care to read to the end or you will be very confused. [Razz] )

EXHIBIT B: The Excelsior model with sign reading "U.S.S. Excelsior (aka Fredrickson)." We know that this same model, labeled as the Excelsior on the ventral saucer from its appearance in "Flashback" (VGR) was also labeled on top as the Fredrickson.

In contrast, the, Valkyrie model was labeled that on both sides, and thus its sign has no "aka" caveat. Of course, why the Nebula's sign says "U.S.S. Phoenix (aka Farragut)" and not "U.S.S. Leeds (aka Farragut)" is an unanswered question. Perhaps the signmaker remembered its first appearance in "The Wounded" (TNG) particularly strongly. Regardless, I am now fairly certain of my theory.

Thank you.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Johnny
Member # 878

I'd change the pics to links, only the edit time has run out. I didn't know you could make thumbs with code.

I laughed when I went up to the Ambassador and saw it was still labelled as two different ships. It was also a shame to see how grubby the model was, and that it had quite large splits in the wood. I'd still buy it if I had the money(*joins the singalong*).

I wondered if some of the dirt on the Defiant in this shot was a remainder of the battle damage applied for the scene in FC, or maybe Valiant. Though, I couldn't remember if they used CGI for the Defiant by that point. Whatever, I'd buy the Defiant too if I could. I think the starting bid was $8,000.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I remember reading somewhere that all of the damage on the Defiant for "First Contact" was CG. The paint markings could be from earlier damage back in the days when they DID alter the model...

Or, from simply moving the model and regular wear and tear over the years. The Ambie model has certainly seen better days, and was obviously not meant to last more than a few years in a shootable state (in fact, it was only used over the course of three).

Note also that there is absolutely no inkling of a torpedo tube anywhere on the model! This has been discussed many times over the years, but non-apparent torpedo bays (the ship has 'em, as mentioned in dialogue) are a stickler issue on a number of ships...

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't know you could make thumbs with code."

Nor did I. And it isn't mentioned on the UBB Code explanation page, either.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Worf's spine.

I'd like to know what the Klingon-y female outfit is from. It's familiar, & yet....

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you could use the good old fashioned img tag and set the size to make you thumbs.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps