Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc) (Page 19)

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc)
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thanks, regardless.

But I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind the "high-up, trusted source of information?" You're not working on the film are you?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I don't post at the TrekBBS, I do occasionally read their posts for the new Trek movie. Lately, there have been a lot of rumors and downright falsehoods, including one rumor that Romulans would use the Guardian of Forever to travel back in time to the 23rd century (because I guess it's better than the 24th...), and future Spock knew the timeline was changed because, lo and behold, there was future old Kirk alive & well in the 24th century.

Apparently the guy who started this rumor revealed later that it wasn't true, but not before other websites were posting his bogus info as truth and calling him a "high-up, trusted source of information."

So...I changed my signature about a month ago, declaring that "The Enterprise-F will appear in the new movie," a blatant falsehood on my part just to see if anyone would notice it. No one did (except for you, of course. What took you so long? [Smile] ) Hence my new signature.

So no, I'm not working on the film. Just goes to show that you should never, ever believe anything on the internet.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed it & chuckled.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among some interesting concept sketches from Homefront there's a John Eaves design that has similarities to the Nebula and Akira classes. Perhaps an idea for the Lakota?

Oh and there's an Andorian's head. [Wink]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
A series of concept sketches, including one showing some shuttlecraft that look similar to the TFF/Gen shuttle, but more sleek.

What do you think this scene was for!?! I can't remember any 'rumours' about a large gathering with Klingons, Feds, Bajorans, Cardassians etc.

Although I DID have the idea that they should have something like it for the Ninth or Tenth movie... as a way to bring in some DS9 Characters for cameos and as a vehicle for Worf to be on the Enterprise.

It would have been great to see one scene of the Federation council meeting - and have them feature as many alien Races that have been in Star Trek as possible. You could have then had Kira as a Bajoran diplomat, and Worf as the Klingon Ambassador (ahh must have been an idea for the Tenth movie - after the finish of DS9) and Garak as a Cardassian representative.

I don't like the idea of Worf going back to the Enterprise, actually. It would be a DEMOTION for him as he was being fast-tracked to Command on Deep Space Nine.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf's chances of command were torpedoed when he went off to save Dax, no? Also, he's the Federation ambassador to the Klingons.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah true, but that annoys me y'know - how many times did we see crew members on TNG or TOS or VOY not acting for the 'greater good' but endangering hundreds or thousands of lives for a personal reason.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially since in that one particular Worf episode, an informant Worf was suppose to meet dies. You know, cause in a war it's okay to have informants die.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with that scene. I'd pick saving my wife over someone I've never met before, too, even if they were an informant. Of course, this is exactly why you don't have married couples serving together.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that the whole point of that episode was that the informant was offering some major, major intelligence about the Dominion. From the script:
quote:
[I have] Information about the Founders... I know how many of them are in the Alpha Quadrant... where they are... and what they're doing.
Considering how much damage the Founders must have been doing in disruption and sabotage, that would've freed up an incredible amount of resources in terms of personnel and time to let the Federation and the Klingons go on the offensive.

In contrast, suffering 50% casualties on the two-person extraction team would be a very small price to pay. Picard, for example, would never have approved of Worf's decision; sure, he would've probably called a staff briefing to debate the issue, at the very least (kidding, kidding) but the end result would be the same. Trade the life of one Starfleet officer who knew her duty and was willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, in exchange for information that would ensure the safety of thousands, if not millions of fellow officers, not to mention put a severe dent in the enemy's covert offensives.

As Garak once said, "I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet he'd still get a command spot anyway. We've seen others fuck up & get redeemed, as well as be offered slots time & time & time again. There's so many ships in TNGfleet that getting a captaincy is no longer the huge effort it was a century earlier.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik:

Except that there are probably so many more Starfleet officers, too, so there's probably still a healthy competition for starship commands.

What Worf has going for him is that he's a member of the family of the ruler of the Klingon Empire. Promotion for Worf could become a matter of politial prowess: promote a Klingon to a starship command -- even if just as a brief stepping stone before making him an admiral -- and you're only solidfying the relationship between the UFP and the Empire.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

To people's reply - true, true. I guess that is what made Deep Space Nine a great TV show. Also why I can't STAND how people always used to joke and comment about DS9 "boldly staying where no one has stayed before". etc etc. In reference to it NOT being a show based on a starship. The producers/writers etc. showed them. Staying in 'the same place' meant that they didn't and sometimes couldn't wrap storylines up into neat little packages. Everything had consequences... and well done to the people on the show who realised this.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Except that the whole point of that episode was that the informant was offering some major, major intelligence about the Dominion. From the script:
quote:
[I have] Information about the Founders... I know how many of them are in the Alpha Quadrant... where they are... and what they're doing.
In contrast, suffering 50% casualties on the two-person extraction team would be a very small price to pay. Picard, for example, would never have approved of Worf's decision;
Riiiight- the same bozo that sent almost his entire ship's compliment into unknown Borg-controlled territory in search of one officer that all evidence showed had defected anyway.

Trek often has had situations wherein a hero-character did assinine things which could have led to disastter for the Federation with no lasting consequences.

DS9 was a gem in showing that mistakes or lapses in judgment (no matter how stressful the situation) sometimes get people killed.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More to the point, I doubt Picard would pair up a married couple on that kind of mission. To my mind the error in judgement was really Sisko's, not Worf's.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps