Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc) (Page 28)

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30   
Author Topic: Photos from the Trek auction (Defiant, Reliant, etc)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's this thing called photoshop.... [Roll Eyes]
I have to admit I get rather annoyed when people slap on the "CGI" label and assume it's all done by computers. Allot of what we saw in LoTRs obviously relied heavily on traditional miniature work, though the untrained eye seams to have trouble appreciating that just because it's a model, doesn't mean it can't be digitally enhanced and just because it's CG, doesn't mean there isn't a real element in there somewhere.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when you mention "CGI" (AKA: Computer Generated Images) I think it's fairly logical to come to the conclusion that it's mainly done by computers. But that's just me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said, the assumption that something is "CGI" and applying that label to anything involving computer in the first place is part of what often vexes me.
The key word there is "Generated". It's very misleading.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. I think of it more as "Computer Guided Imagery".

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sorta yes and no- a lot of all-CGI effects have a video-game quality (sit through Van Helsing for this) and there's the movies with only CGI (that dreadful Final Fantasy movie or the Starship Troopers series) that obviously uses no models...

The line is really blurring with traditional filming of real scenes/objects being enhanced (sometimes frame-by-frame).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, don't even remind me of Starship Troopers. Just saw the third one yesterday, absolutely terrible. Didn't even show Jolene Blalock's boobs, total waste of time.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were going to do the book's "power armor" in the third movie (I know I saw the second, but I must have blocked it from memory).

The T&A in the first movie (Dina Meyer!) is the best part...though I confess....it's somehow a movie I watch whenever it's on TV.
Like They Live- some part of you knows it's awful but you watch it in spite of yourself.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

The movie is based on religion. At one point they literally get on their knee's and start praying for God to come and kill them all. It doesn't bother me BECAUSE it's religion, you just have to see it to understand.

And the suits get only a 10 second shoot'em up sequence.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The T&A in the first movie (Dina Meyer!) is the best part...though I confess....it's somehow a movie I watch whenever it's on TV.
Like They Live- some part of you knows it's awful but you watch it in spite of yourself.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and i'm all outta gum..."

The Piper rules [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an unusual one, they're auctioning tapes that were used to play animations on the Enterprise B computers. Link.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Is this still going? That's a prety cool lot, but I'm not gonna pay 65 quid for ten videos I can't watch. Probably beta, anyway.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Whoever buys tem will almost certainly post them online anyway...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Suliban writing

Build your own Delta Flyer!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
Wow! Is this still going? That's a prety cool lot, but I'm not gonna pay 65 quid for ten videos I can't watch. Probably beta, anyway.

It's been going on since the last time this thread was posted in, but nothing of interest has turned up. Some items have been put up half a dozen times or more and they just can't shift them. It seems not everybody has more money than sense.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bastard! I'll PAY you to come here and say that! Oh, wait. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps