Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Favourite Bridge and Set Designs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favourite Bridge and Set Designs
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best bridge/sets...

I was just wondering today after just seeing a little bit of STVI on TV yesterday - what the best bridge is in terms of coolness factor - and I'm going to lump sets in there too.

I'm going to say the E-A/Excelsior NCC-2000. They are very good and very believeable as futuristic places to be. I really loved a lot about the E-A (and the NCC Excelsior) in STVI. They were very crisp and clean and futuristic. I *LOVED* the blankets.

The E-D is of course a sentimental favourite - post season 1. I liked the addition of the side bays in Generations - and I really think they should have left it the E-D for the rest of the movies.

Voyager leaves me cold - I do, though like the Defiant, it's bridge - it's corridors and it's engine room. Even the sickbay is good.

We are talking starships here - because if it included ops and DS9's sets - It's win hands down - but it doesn't.

Andrew

[ September 04, 2006, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Timo ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Can somebody please change the title to something like: "Favourite Bridge and Set Designs"?? Heheheheh.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thy will be done.

Even though everybody already knows that the coolest bridge they ever did was the one across the Rura Penthe pit.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the coolest bridge ever was in "Bohemian Rhapsody". Who DOESN'T air-guitar when that riff comes through?!

But staying in-franchise, my vote is also for the TUC Excelsior, or the E-D bridge as seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise". The first incarnation of the E-D battle bridge also rates pretty highly. It's all about ergonomics for me, giving the CO the best access to information from his subordinates AND to the main viewer. You'd be surprised how few bridge designs give a CO a decent look out the window.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in general terms, dark & moodily-lit are favourite? I'm guessing a general thumbs-down for the sterile whiteness of the Prometheus then.

Another Favourite Bridge: The Bridge of Death, from Holy Grail. Answering the Questions Three makes for a MUCH more secure method of access control than all this "Authorisation Picard Alpha Foxtrot Nine Three Aubergine" nonsense.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you start my Dad off about The Bridge over the River Kwai, he will not shut up.

I loved the TUC Enterprise and Excelsior bridges too. The colour schemes were quite well done, red for Enterprise, blue for Excelsior and both bridges had a high tech efficient look to them.

The Voyager bridge is probably my least favourite. The officers seem to be scattered all over the shop. I swear the science/engineeering officers would have to shout to be heard from those little nooks on the side of the bridge. It just lacks any intimacy between the characters and it's too bright(and grey).

The revamp for the Equinox bridge was much better.

The FC and Nemesis Ent-E bridge was great. Very moody and futuristic. Dunno what they were thinking in Insurrection with that lighting.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the ergonomics argument. In that sense, any bridge which places the commander in the centre of a roughly circular layout and high enough for a good view of things wins. However, the TUC Ent and Ex bridges also score highly for being believably functional, looking sufficiently advanced and having a properly militaristic, business-like atmosphere; something the D's lounge certainly never possessed.

As an Englishman, I think the TUC Excelsior wins based on the provision of a place to put one's cup of tea. Now that's the hallmark of an advanced civilisation!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-E bridges are rather exceptional in that the Captain actually gets to see most people's faces rather than their necks. And said people in turn get to see the Captain's nudge-nudge, wink-winks at crucial moments without spraining their spines.

Frankly, I think the TOS heritage design is the worst possible command center design imaginable, with poor communications between people who need to cooperate closely (say, science officer who provides targeting cues and helmsman who aims the guns); hindrances to mobility yet not enough hindrances to prevent excessive mobility when the ship shakes; a single accessway that is surprisingly poorly protected against intruders and thus mostly acts as a choke point against evacuation attempts; and little or no facilities (private corners, visual aids or even tabletops) for the all-important kibbizing needed for tactical and strategic planning.

And the consoles, while perhaps laid out ergonomically as far as hundred-button monstrosities go, could really use a bit more "hands constantly on key keys" consolidation and a bit less "now which of these 59 red ones did I need to push?" random groping.

I'd take the command centers of Flash Gordon or Captain Nemo over this any day.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
The FC and Nemesis Ent-E bridge was great. Very moody and futuristic. Dunno what they were thinking in Insurrection with that lighting.

OH I *SO* agree - what was WITH that. FC bridge was FANTASTIC - the Insurrection bridge - a beige party!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Also wasn't wrapped on the E-A's bridge in TFF. What was with that carpet? And complete lack of bridge crew.

Lurker Emeritus: I guess you'd really like Kruge's BOP from ST:III then - if you like central and highly seated captains? [Smile]

--------------------

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to go with NCC-1701-A TUC bridge. Functional and neat. But then, that's my favorite starship too.

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Lurker Emeritus: I guess you'd really like Kruge's BOP from ST:III then - if you like central and highly seated captains? [Smile]

Oh absolutely! Never underestimate the discipline value of a well placed spit wad hitting the back of an underlings neck when he has displeased you!
Timo
Member # 245

So [i]that[/] was the reason Klingons changed their hairstyle after the TFS era!

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Thy will be done.

Even though everybody already knows that the coolest bridge they ever did was the one across the Rura Penthe pit.

Timo Saloniemi

Phht- the coolest bridge was the one that killed Kirk!
My hero, in fact (the bridge, not Kirk).

I loved the Enterprise C dual-level design, but I'd have used it for the Romulan Warbird- the Warbird's captain (commander?) would have the second elevation along with tactical and helm- all other officers would be on the lower levels, supervised by the second in command.
There would be a two-storey IMAX style viewscreen.

Can you tell I was disapointed in the actual warbird bridge layout? Boo!

I love the Defiant's bridge- perfect for a close-kit crew like Sisko's.
I really dig the FC and Nemesis bridges- they're big and high tech looking, and they have a lot going on, but it's the Flagship! it SHOULD have a lot gping on, for pete's sake!
It's a wonder no one ever fell asleep in the waiting room that was the D's bridge.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did fall asleep in the D's bridge. They had to change the seats at the Conn and Ops stations after season 1 because the actors would fall asleep in them while waiting for shots to be filmed.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps