Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The ion pod (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The ion pod
Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the TOS episode 'Court Martial' Kirk is charged with causing the death of an officer whilst the Enterprise was passing through an ion storm. The officer was working within the ion pod and Kirk was accused of jettisoning the pod with the officer still inside.

I was wondering what the precise purpose of the ion pod would be. From the context, it appears to have something to do with collecting data on ion storms. The Enterprise accelerated to warp 1 whilst passing through the storm and the deployment of the ion pod seemed to cause some risk of danger to the ship, which might require Kirk to jettison the pod to prevent the ship being damaged.

So, from this we can infer that the ion pod cannot be operated remotely and has it's own control room of some kind; that when deployed it somehow affects the flying characteristics of the ship, although there is not information as to whether the pod physically deploys outside the ships hull or not; that the function of the pod cannot be halted quickly enough in an emergency to prevent damage and that the quickest way of stopping it is to jettison it.

FAO Mars Needs Women, I understand the ion pod is a plot device, honest [Wink]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. For ages we need more Brits onboard, and when one finally comes along he starts trying to rationalise MacGuffins. Coming up next, what was in Marsellus Wallace's briefcase?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although there's nothing inherently wrong with him trying to rationalize one-off lines in Star Trek, the ST novel writers take this to such an extreme that it quickly became annoying. Case in point: The "Lost Era" novel "The Art of The Impossible" was written based entirely on one throw-away line in DS9. That's just too anal for me.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, this sub-forum does have a motto...

Whatever the pod's nature and mission, it seems that an officer is needed there "for reading on ion slates". And a fairly senior officer at that: if the duty roster for the pod included every Ensign, it would have been extremely difficult for Finney to have arranged for the "accident"/"murder" within his period of service aboard Kirk's ship.

One entertaining idea is that the reason why the pod can't be automated is that it takes readings on the officer, not the storm itself. "Ion slates" are things that slate the poor subject with ions... Perhaps Starfleet wants to tell apart those ion storms that kill people, and those that turn them into silver-eyed demigods?

Timo Saloniemi

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, an amusing notion, and one that is not without historical precedent. The atom bomb tests of the 50's, for instance, in which thousands of service personnel were intentionally exposed to phenomena that were known to be harmful.

Either that, or the kind of information Starfleet is gleaning from ion storms is, for some reason, best gathered using the Mark 1 eyeball.

What is this sub-forums motto?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You know those dorky kids in Galaxy Quest?"

Clearly, Starfleet is desperate to learn more about ion storms, enough to have some sort of standing orders to steer starships deliberately into them despite the known risks. I mean, clearly Kirk wasn't trying to avoid the storm or anything.

Timo Saloniemi

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

quote:
Oh God. I never realised! What have I become?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!Check out the brain on Brad...
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
quote:
Justin Long, apparently.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is steering in to ion storms much different than steering in to hurricanes?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps its not the ion pod, but the ionPod and is recharged by ion storms.

It may be risky, but the crew needs their Mp3s.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ion Pod could have just been a tethered workbee?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker Emeritus:
quote:
Justin Long, apparently.
Well, I had to google that name, so perhaps there's hope for me yet!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want mine to have Matt Decker, please.

"There WAS.....BUT NOT ANYMORE!!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps