Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for fun, I'd like to compose a list of all the ships shown (or more likely, NOT shown) in TOS that could quite possibly have a new design made for the Enhanced version of each ep the said vessel was featured in.

Here's my list:

The Antares from "Charlie X",

Harry Mudd's Class-J cargo ship from "Mudd's Women",

The Gorn ship from "Arena",

The space battle between the Enterprise and Klingon ships in "Errand of Mercy",

The Orion ship in "Journey To Babel",

The Klingon scout ship in "Friday's Child",

Three new ship designs to represent the stock-footage Connies, and a new design for the Woden, in "The Ultimate Computer",

The wreckage of the S.S. Beagle in "Bread and Circusus".

Any others I missed?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they will/should change the Connies in "The Ultimate Computer," because they're all supposed to be top-of-the-line starships for a major battle exercise. Although variety would be cool, I think it's reasonable to keep them the same.

I absolutely agree with all the others, though.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've already revealed(albeit it in a very coy way) that the Antares and Orion ship will be made. I'm looking forward to those, as well as the J Class you mentioned. There was a good design for that ship in one of the Last Unicorn RPG books.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they're creating effects shots beyond those that already exist in the episodes. Probably a shot of the Antares docking with the Enterprise will replace the shot of the E at the beginning of "Charlie X," and the ships above that were represented by simple flashes of light will probably be likewise replaced, but I wouldn't expect any space battles in "Errand Of Mercy" or the Beagle in "Bread And Circuses," as there are no corresponding FX in the original episodes.

I also doubt that they will use different designs for the Connies in "The Ultimate Computer." The image of those ships fighting each other is too iconic to change.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gorn ships in the "Starfleet Academy"-game looked like shit. Like they'd been made in play-do with a cookie-cutter. "Klingon Academy" wasn't much *better. Hope these people can do better, without using Jem'Hadar nacelles.

*Of course, maybe the Gorn did use giant orbital cookie-cutters, they didn't seem very dexterious. Guhaw-haw.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bele's starship from "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield." Although I think the dialogue conveniently states the ship is invisible.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Celestial Queen in "The Conscience of the King".
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astral Queen.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Clint Howard's giant Times Square New Year's Eve ball?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Astral Queen.

*smacks head* Dammit, I always knew that the name of the prison ship in BSG sounded familiar! I never took the time to look it up, but each time the name was mentioned, I thought to myself, "Where is that name from?" (And then I forgot/neglected to follow up on it.)

Anyone else think that the Klingon "scout" from "Errand of Mercy" should look like a vague predecessor to the Bird-of-Prey? (Ignoring that ridiculously-overengineered ENT design, of course.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I'm a firm believer that the Klingons got the BOP from the Romulans during th etechnology exchange, and that it wouldn't be in widespread use that quickly.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you explain the early BoP in Enterprise then - which occurred prior to ST:ToS?

Ciao!
Art

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine he ignores it.

In an odd way it would be nice to see Mudd's ship as being the same Class-J from ENT. Albiet just a front section, sans the large cargo pods. Maybe re-textured to fit in with the TOS look.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that the "in-house" CBS guys are not bothering to pilfer Paramount's stable of models, and instead coming up with their own stuff. So, *if* we see something new, it'll be a new design (or a new CG model of a pre-existing one).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise is a blight on the face of Trek. With nuBSG, I can watch it for its own merits without thinking of it as BSG. With Enterprise, I had constant reminders throughout that it was supposed to be Trek, but poorly executed on a variety of levels (though not the acting). So yeah, I ignore any Klingon ship referred to as a Bird-of-Prey prior to "The Enterprise Incident".

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps