Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
...maybe new Star Trek needs to be written by some young idealist in India or China. (Actually, I'd pay huge amounts of money to see Chinese or Indian Star Trek.)

Chinese Star Trek would follow the same overriding theme that's in Chinese literature, Chinese television, Chinese movies, Chinese soap operas: Life is sad because we have 1 Bling people, we have enough that we don't give a flyling fuck of 'em. Don't overthrow the Emperor cause who will service the divine country's need for Scat?
Though maybe i'm thinking German-trek (but then what is the first phrase?)...

Anyway, to steer the thread into oncoming traffic, i have a Q. A couple days ago, i was Youtubing TOS-R related materials, mostly the SFx reels (as identified as). mostly it was TV broadcasts edited to show only the remastered stuff. Well i was watching the Immunity Syndrome (The one with the amoeba and the USS Intripid) and the begining of teh episode title, they showed a conny with no light behind her, then a the E underway nearby. Dunno if anyone noticed this but WAS that brief odd fotage the Intripid? Is so, was the NCC clear enough?

It wasn't so from the fotage i've seen (and since you've discussed the Exeter 1672/1706 thingie...)

get my point?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're referring to this then no, it's the Enterprise, you can clearly see 1701.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it would have been interesting to see the Intrepid, but unfortunately it never appeared in the episode.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(This has a vague release date, on HD-DVD, apparently.)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
If you're referring to this then no, it's the Enterprise, you can clearly see 1701.

Sorry. i suppose it was the way it appears in edited form that made me consider it...

still, that would be a nice idea to include a brief camio, Ja?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen just a few complete remastered episodes now besides the ubiquitous spoilers. But enough to settle on simple (yet not completely clear-cut) rules:

1) If TOS-R updates or corrects the look of TOS without adding or replacing anything, I see TOS-R as the more accurate depiction of the very same events. Examples: phaser beams whose angles and colors were fixed, Class-M planets now with clouds.

2) If TOS-R adds something that may not have been visible in TOS, I may accept it just as well. Examples: ShirKahr in "Amok Time", the new Orion ship.

3) IF TOS-R replaces something of TOS with something else, I see this as an incursion, and TOS has precedence. Examples: the new ship in "Spock's Brain", the D7 instead of the scout ship (however blurry it used to be).

Of course, there are moot cases, just like the many planets whose basic appearance was changed. Strictly speaking, they all fall into category 3.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Would the improved chronometer in "Naked Time" be a Category 1 or 3 event? It "corrects" a clear flaw (the minutes-rolling-at-61-rather-than-60-second-mark one) but also "replaces" most of the details regarding that doodad, by fiddling with the labels.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps