Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Mudd: A whole civilization of androids.

What are Little Girls Made of?: A scant few android survivors from the Andromeda Galaxy. They have the ability to create more androids, though.

Requiem For Methusalah: The immortal Mr. Flint created an android Reyna, and had back-up models in storage.

Return to Tomorrow: No androids seen on-screen, but Scotty assists in creating android bodies for the three alien "essences" inhabiting Kirk, Spock and Dr. Ann Mulhall (played by Diana Muldaur). Scotty is impressed and confused by the advanced technology used in these androids, stating it would take "gears and pullys" to work the insides, not some glob of jelly.

Tomorrow is Yesterday: Mr. Atoz created robot duplicates of himself to help run the library that no one visited.

Shore Leave: Enterprise crew interact with robot characters and illusions on Omicron Delta.

No, I Mudd isn't the episode where Mudd has a ship. That would be the first Mudd episode "Mudd's Women." Mud and the three women are beamed from his ship before it explodes.

The Baku seem familiar with android technology and so does Adriane Mackenzie, the woman colonist/engineer from TNG "Ensigns of Command."

Additionally, TOS had sentient computers in the form of Nomad and M-5. There is enough technology around to make it seem robotics should be more commonplace in Trek. Granted, those two sentient machines went nuts, but it should be possible to create some droids along the lines of servant robots, construction robots, etc...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered why robots were never a big part of Trek, aside from budget. However, in the Schizoid Man, Dr. Ira Graves had what appeared to be a robot on the wall of his home.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Norman mention that the race that created himself and the other androids were also from the Andromeda galaxy?

And that was a nice ending shot!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah so who ever created Norman and his android buddys might also have created the androids from What are Little Girls Made Of?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, I always assumed Mr. atoz was useing alternate temporal versions of himself, not androids....I mean, he's got the time window thnger right there.

The stuff from Shore Leave was more likey holograms -but it's been a while- did they ever specifically say it was robots?

The baku did not specifically say they were familliar with androids- only "positronic device" (Angi at least seems not to consider data a lifeform). If Trek ever does another "jump forward" it's probable that most of their computers are positronic in nature- maybe a mix of bio-neural and positronic even.

As to Scotty's notion of "gears and pulleys", I'd wager he was drunk- he's not half the engineer of Welshy!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Welshy!
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, the constructs in "Shore Leave" were described as "cellular castings". They were definite physical objects, and the tech seemed to be more bio-botanical than electronic, as it was sufficiently advanced to repair McCoy after being run through with a lance.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm..pretty far off from "robot" though.
Maybe computer-controlled plantforms?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Captain Boh: Apparently you failed to notice my winking smiley-face emoticon after I made that statement, implying that I was "just kidding." [Wink]

See?

I can't be expected to see things at 04:45 AM damn it!
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Arena is the next episode to air. The promo only shows the Gorn ship as a blob, but hopefully it'll be shown closer up.

http://trekmovie.com/2006/10/18/kirk-v-gornsee-the-arena-remastered-promo/

The torpedoes are also worth noting. They look more like the torpedo effect we see in all the other movies and series.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Johnny, did you notice that when the Enterprise left orbit and increased speed its impulse engines glowed red?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread.

Okay, now that we've seen the new Gorn ship, let's revise my list:

1. The Antares.

2. Harry Mudd's Class-J cargo ship (I just hope they don't re-use the Horizon from ENT, although I don't think they will)

3. I could have sworn there was a space battle between the Enterprise and unseen Klingon ships at the beginning of "Errand of Mercy" but I guess I was wrong.

4. The Orion ship in "Journey to Babel."

5. The Klingon scout ship in "Friday's Child."

6. The Woden in "The Ultimate Computer."

7. Again, I thought there was a scene where they found the Beagle's wreckage (without an accompanying FX shot).

8. One I missed before: The S.S. Aurora from "The Way to Eden." I hope they will replace the "Backwards-Tholian-with-Federation-like-nacelles" ship with something more interesting.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think they already stated they wont be useing anyone else's models- precluding any ENT ships from showing up.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the revised "Menagerie, Part I"

They did some nice stuff with footage from "The Cage", especially the zoom in to the bridge - instead of a wobbly mess, it now seems like the camera is sinking through a semi-transluscent bridge dome.

Sadly, I don't think they tweaked the Enterprise model at all with pointy thingies on the nacelles, but you don't get to see it very well either.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I saw spikes on the youtube footage. Besides, didn't they use a pointy nacelled Enterprise on "Mirror Mirror"?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps