Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. The "The Menagerie" version has the spikes, but it also has glowing ramscoops, as opposed to the nail-polish-dark ones in "Mirror, Mirror".

It's a damn shame that the re-somethinged episodes are significantly cropped versions. I'd much rather see the eps restored to full original length, and perhaps played 7 % faster for modern market. There probably isn't any hope of getting the cut scenes re-processed for the DVD releases...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Bumping this thread.

Okay, now that we've seen the new Gorn ship, let's revise my list:

1. The Antares.

2. Harry Mudd's Class-J cargo ship (I just hope they don't re-use the Horizon from ENT, although I don't think they will)

3. I could have sworn there was a space battle between the Enterprise and unseen Klingon ships at the beginning of "Errand of Mercy" but I guess I was wrong.

4. The Orion ship in "Journey to Babel."

5. The Klingon scout ship in "Friday's Child."

6. The Woden in "The Ultimate Computer."

7. Again, I thought there was a scene where they found the Beagle's wreckage (without an accompanying FX shot).

8. One I missed before: The S.S. Aurora from "The Way to Eden." I hope they will replace the "Backwards-Tholian-with-Federation-like-nacelles" ship with something more interesting.

9. Astral Queen from "The Conscience of the King".

Just because they wont use othere people's models doesn't stop them from creating their own cgi model of a similar ship. Otherwise they wouldn't have shown the CGI Enterprise because there was a connie seen in Enterprise too.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's silly reasoning since the Enterprise is the "hero" ship of the show and the people over at TOS remastered could could probably give two shits about what ships appeared on Star Trek: Enterprise. Personally I too would want to see a different design for Mudd's ship.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would make nice continuity for the J-class to be the same as the one in Ent, but a totally new, TOS style ship would be far more exciting.

As for the scenes cut from the syndicated episodes, CBS has given the impression that the episodes will be released in full on DVD, including those missing minutes.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I thought that the reason why the Enterprise was there to ferry Karidian et. al was because the Astral Queen never showed up.
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I got to thinking about this early this morning during a slow period at work. It hit me that it would be fun if the new design was based on the old "Leif Ericson" model AMT did back in the 60s. Seeing as Matt Jefferies designed the model, I think it would make a better fit for the show's look than a modern "from scratch" design.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
I thought that the reason why the Enterprise was there to ferry Karidian et. al was because the Astral Queen never showed up.
Oh - yeah - it didn't?? Did Kirk speak to someone and say 'oh no they can come with us'?

*shrug*

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
quote:

I got to thinking about this early this morning during a slow period at work. It hit me that it would be fun if the new design was based on the old "Leif Ericson" model AMT did back in the 60s. Seeing as Matt Jefferies designed the model, I think it would make a better fit for the show's look than a modern "from scratch" design.
An entire clique of modelers have been working on that for a couple of years now.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behold Fesarius!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweeet. It doth rock my world as well.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it! Much better than the 60's Christmas ornament.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a concept sketch rather than anything from the episode, but if they're going for that more complex look then I approve. If the balls had been smooth it would've looked too simplistic and flat(a bit like the Enterprise's hull did in the early remastered eps...). These hints of detail and scale are an improvement and will look snazzy in HD.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Yup. The "The Menagerie" version has the spikes, but it also has glowing ramscoops, as opposed to the nail-polish-dark ones in "Mirror, Mirror".

It's a damn shame that the re-somethinged episodes are significantly cropped versions. I'd much rather see the eps restored to full original length, and perhaps played 7 % faster for modern market. There probably isn't any hope of getting the cut scenes re-processed for the DVD releases...

Timo Saloniemi

I had heard that there is an edit available that isn't cut for time, but the networks are obviously not going to use that when they should have their advertising instead.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, why exactly does Balok have such a huge ship? It seems so tiny inside, and the impression I've had is that he's the only person on board. Is it an inverse TARDIS or something?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to look impressive, probably.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps