Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two classic possibilities there...

-Balok's vessel is extremely advanced and capable, a single-pilot Death Star or a manned Culture ship.

-Balok's vessel is the last remnant of a crumbling empire, and most of the stuff that the thousands-strong crew would operate is no longer functioning. It still makes for an impressive yacht, and a good bluff.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it's a very advanced kind of
hologram...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris:
Sweeet. It doth rock my world as well.

Aye verily!

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Two classic possibilities there...

-Balok's vessel is extremely advanced and capable, a single-pilot Death Star or a manned Culture ship.

-Balok's vessel is the last remnant of a crumbling empire, and most of the stuff that the thousands-strong crew would operate is no longer functioning. It still makes for an impressive yacht, and a good bluff.

Timo Saloniemi

Who says it only serves as a spaceship?
It's large enough to be anything from a spaceborne nature preserve to a colony ship that served it's original purpose...
It could even be many smaller ships combined for easy warp travel and dispersed to protect/attack an entire system.

Another possibility is that it's a raw-materials miner, with the spheres serving a basic shape for processed elements to be broken down into whatever via replicator tech at a later date.
Or a self-replicating ship design that would eventually make something like a Dyson Sphere.

It would be keen if Balock had gathered up all the potentially destructive stuff his crumbling empire left lying around (so no one could destroy themselves with it) and made the giant ship from it all....it would even be cool to see someone take that notion on as a crusade- LOTS of tech left lying about in Trek- the Hussnok for example. [Wink]

Whatever it's intended function, the power needed to move that bitch into warp would be serious- strange no one ever mentions the First Federation again- even in passing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Balok was the First Federation. That would explain the lack of mention hereafter.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the casual viewer or absent-minded fan there would be confusion since the term Federation nowadays is associated with the United Federation of Planets.

About the Fesarius, perhaps the ship was largely automated making it necessary for only one person to be around, probably to make sure everything was running smoothly and get wasted on tranya.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... when I said explain, I meant in a longwinded fanboy sense.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you want to know, when I first saw the episode, I thought that the First Federation and the United Federation of Planets were one and the same so it made the plot seem a bit strange to me. But I was very young then.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they did not wish to anger Asimov fans.

I seem to remember that DC Comics had a now-Commander Bailey show up in a panel in some issue bringing "greetings from the First Federation, captain." I think it was one of the "Trial Of James T. Kirk" issues.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Behold Fesarius pt.2

Note:
New Marker Buoy

New Fesarius (duh)

New Pilot Ship

New Shots of the Enterprise including one shot where the Enterprise zips away from the pilot ship.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was cool seeing the light from the probe, the Fesarius and the pilot ship reflecting off the surface of the Enterprise.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread again.

Revision #3 to the wish list:

1. The Antares - In about a month, the remastered "Charlie X" will be shown, and according to Okuda's hint in an interview, there will be a new design. Hopefully it won't look anything like the NX-01.

2. Harry Mudd's Class-J cargo ship.

3. "Errand of Mercy" showed the battle between the Enterprise and five or six Klingon ships, but they were all D-7's.

4. The Orion ship in "Journey to Babel" - check!

5. The Klingon scout ship in "Friday's Child" - uh, scout ship gone, D-7 in it's place (*sigh*)

6. The Woden from "The Ultimate Computer" -according to the same Okuda interview as above, there will be a new design for the Woden as well.

7. S.S. Beagle wreckage from "Bread and Circuses" - alas, no BoBW-style wreckage for the Beagle, just a few tiny pieces of wreckage that float by for a few seconds.

8. The S.S. Aurora from "The Way to Eden."

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget which ship they were talking about, but didn't Okuda or Dave Rossi say they'd be basing one of the new ships on a TAS design? I think it was Harry Mudd's ship.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TAS had automated freighters in "More Tribbles, More Trouble," and the Woden was an automated freighter, so I'd guess that's the ship that will look like the TAS version.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One that wasn't on the list, and was actually one of the better alien designs in TOS, the ion ship from Spock's Brain has been updated.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/06/06/image-from-remastered-spocks-brain/

Personally, I don't think it needed redesigning, even if it was a bit of a clich� of a rocket ship.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

What!? No more penis ship!?

NOOOOOOO!

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps