Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly wouldn't want my penis to look like that. Or the new ship, for that matter.

I *do* like the notion that they're trying to reflect what ACTUAL ion propulsion should look like, though.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet this ship is apparently supposed to move at warp speed, so making her ion drive look real-worldish is actually counterproductive...

Hmh. Perhaps the ion drive was just cunning fakery, intended to lull our heroes to false security. And beneath that "innocent ion ship" appareance lay a high performance warpship capable of outrunning combat starships.

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they just wanted to get away from a ship that looks like it's from Flash Gordon.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I certainly wouldn't want my penis to look like that. Or the new ship, for that matter.

Mark

quote:
Maybe they just wanted to get away from a ship that looks like it's from Flash Gordon.
No, that would be the spaceship from the movie Flesh Gordon.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the remastered "ion ship" will have any moving parts, like the orion ship from Journey to Babel Remastered.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've also added a fantastic glacier.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32909

A bit more than Spock's Brain deserves really. [Big Grin]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the thing... I think they're using the fact that "Spock's Brain" is almost universally accepted as the worst TOS story EVER, to play around with it a bit more than par.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really I found "And the Children Shall Lead" to be worse than "Spock's Brain" caused at least "Spock's Brain" had no children who manage took over a starship!
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's where they make the wanking gestures to invoke the drag queen, right?

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

FX Reel is up. Aside from the new ship and glacier, nothing too fancy was done.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/06/09/spocks-brain-screenshots/

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should've redone the map graphic.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well at least they cleaned it up the light glare on the map.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a poor choice to turn the ion drive ship into something as conventional as a ball with run-of-the-mill engine pods. Considering that in the TOS universe ion drive is unlike the ion drive in the real world (not sure whether Spock found it "fascinating"), that ship ought to look outlandish.
Johnny
Member # 878

Trekmovie has some short excerpts from an interview with Dave Rossi where he reveals more new bits:

http://trekmovie.com/2007/06/21/rossi-talks-upcoming-tos-r-episodes/

"Court Martial" (unscheduled�on TOS-R HD-DVD)

Will show USS Intrepid in orbit of Starbase 11

"Return of Archons" (unscheduled�on TOS-R HD-DVD)

Did something amazing�It�s an orbital and establishing shot Star Trek has never done before and it�s really beautiful.

"Operation: Annihilate!" (unscheduled�on TOS-R HD-DVD)

�will do something that demonstrates how versatile starships are designed to be as they confront the mysteries and dangers of the frontier.

"Ultimate Computer" (unscheduled�2nd season�probably Fall 2007 in syndication)

�trying to figure out how to get the most of the war games battle into existing shot times while respecting the intent of the original work of the editors. It�s always a daunting task to use the original cut times and requires a lot of thought, but ultimately is very satisfying for us. Poor Excalibur�I love a good starship battle and we�ll be trying to squeeze as much out of this one as we can!

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck. They're going to make the Intrepid a Constitution, aren't they...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps