Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 8)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit. That means they just designed my Draylax-class surveyor (as I assigned Antares as). Well, I suppose it could work still.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks more like the cargo drones than anything. Bah. I would have preferred Bjo Trimble's design (enhanced by Reverend).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long, long time since I've seen "Charlie X," but didn't dialogue suggest the Antares was a freighter? I think the new design looks quite appropriate for the circumstances... an old, clunky-looking rustbucket to contrast with the sleek, shiny Enterprise. A heck of a change for Charlie.

(I'm quite fond of the Trimble design too, of course...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science vessel, laddie.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, I believe the ship gets alternately described as a freighter, a survey ship, and a science ship during the course of the episode. I recall Kirk having trouble making up his mind about what "Earth Colony 5" was called, too.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dialogue tags it with four distinct (yet obviously not mutually exclusive) descriptions:
1. "...cargo vessel Antares..."
2. "A transport ship..."
3. "...science probe vessel Antares..."
4. "A survey ship with 20 men aboard..."

It's difficult to see from that pic, but it looks like the registry is indeed NCC-501.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, and I think it's also one of the first true references to scaled ship elements side-by-side, with the nacelles looking like they were copied from the Connie CGI model...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I don't think so. This looks like a highly accurate copy of the "More Tribbles" droneships, complete with nacelles that lack the Enterprise taper, have bigger intercooler thingamabobs, feature a collar around the bow dome and so forth. Only the bow windows, dorsal bulge and sensor dish have been rearranged or removed.

Perhaps not the design I'd have chosen - the Huron could have been a more plausible freighter here, what with having a crew and all, and an all-new ship would of course have been cool. But this is better than the Concordance / Brian Pimenta design that looked like a generic starship rather than a freighter.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Hmm. On a second look, it seems that the Antares is the TAS cargo drone with a whole new squarish "crew module" bolted onto the bow, ahead of the sensor dish.

Which goes nicely with Todd Guenther's modular view of the design. By his interpretation, what we see would be just the core module that provides propulsion, plus a crew module and a forward ventral bulk cargo hold.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
That looks more like the cargo drones than anything. Bah. I would have preferred Bjo Trimble's design (enhanced by Reverend).

I actually think this design is more suitable, especially considering the modular approach which is a good way to reconcile what a 20 person cargo-transport-science-probe-survey-ship should look like. My way was to shrink it down and stick on a couple of modular pods.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with one of the posters on Trekmovie, this is one of the most impressive shots I've seen from TOS:R so far. The design is very fitting IMO and the render is perfect. It's even got that nice blueish tinge that has been missing from a lot of these CG shots.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is some nice remastered work. I feel that now the ships in The Ultimate Computer must all be new designs mainly because a chance to show new and original designs was missed in the Errand of Mercy episode.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've already seen Potemkin, Lexington, Escalibur, and Hood as Connies, so they'll keep them as Connies. The only reason for a new design for Antares is that we've never seen it until now.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

...However, the same logic might not hold for the Woden, which we did see but which certainly could use an update.

I'd be quite happy if they made her into another TAS-style droneship, just without the forward crew section.

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
We've already seen Potemkin, Lexington, Escalibur, and Hood as Connies, so they'll keep them as Connies. The only reason for a new design for Antares is that we've never seen it until now.

I know but I want more TOS designs, damnit!
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps