Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: "New" ships in TOS Enhanced discussion
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
...However, the same logic might not hold for the Woden, which we did see but which certainly could use an update.

I'd be quite happy if they made her into another TAS-style droneship, just without the forward crew section.

Timo Saloniemi

I had a similar thought. Actually that may be the exact reason they chose to use this design for the Antares; so they can save some time/effort/money and re-use it down the line for the Woden.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh. A TAS cargo drone with a crew module. Very nicely done!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think unmanned Woden now MUST BE a standard TAS cargo drone! Or maybe a Huron without it's bridge.

All they need to do now is slip in Arex or M'Ress into background somewhere (I kid, I kid).

By the way, I've also designed a ship that was meant to be Antares, but I went more for the survey/science ship look than for the cargo/transport look. Oh well.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that your barely-seen Capella-class?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I think I've have to rename her.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? I don't see a problem with the name. Just don'te use Antares.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Well, in my most recent articles, I've been naming ships of a class consistently, so all ships of the class would have names of the same type. Antares should be in a class of ships with star names.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Like "Capella"?
Shik
Member # 343

Yeah. There's plenty of stars out there that you can easiuly not use Antares.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means that he'll have to rename the class since the Antares has now been seen to be of a different design. I'm not quite sure of the reasoning there, though, as there should be plenty of star system/planet names to have more than one class following that scheme.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Our simian friend is correct. I had intended for Antares to be a member of my "Capella" class, but since Antares is now a revised robot cargo ship, I'm going to rename the class.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not against selected liftings from TAS, but I have to say that just on a warp dynamics standpoint that thing takes a massive smelly diarrheic dump on things.

I can't think offhand of any other ship in the history of Trek besides the Borg cube that wasn't laid out in such a way as to suggest some sort of aerodynamic-like thought. Even the flying bricks went with their smallest-area side forward.

That having been said, though, I'm loving the render quality. This shot looks great. The orbital shots being shown from Omega Glory look like cartoons.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
warp dynamics standpoint
Oh c'mon, that's just being silly. Is there any reason at all to believe that at any point Star Trek ships were required to be aerodynamic?

By the way.. is it only me, or does this Antares actually look quite like the DY-100, contour-wise? If you sort of squint your eyes, it does look a bit like this.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here's some questions:

1. Does this mean that the Antares and the TAS cargo drones are the same class of ship?

2. Can we finally rule out that the Antares is NOT the class ship of the TNG Antares-class U.S.S. Hermes? I mean, there's no way that Picard would have used a ship that old in his tachyon grid fleet.

3. Ergo, does this also mean that the Antares is not necessarily the first ship of her class, as the shiplist in the Encyclopedia suggests, and that the NCC-501 registry making more sense than if it was NX-501?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO:

1. It's a little difficult to say, yet. The Antares does look very much like the cargo drone with a bow crew module attached, but there are some variations such as the sensor/deflector dish placement, etc. We may have to reserve judgement until we see what the Woden looks like or get some further clarification from Okuda or somebody.

2. If we couldn't rule it out before, why should we be able to now? Whatever her specific design, I think we all envisioned the Antares as being some kind of TOS-like design. If movie era ships are still being used (and, what's more, being built) in the TNG era, then I see no reason why this design couldn't still be around as well, especially since it's proabably a fairly simple, utilitarian, and low-maintenance vessel. Of course, there's no reason why it need look like this anymore, though. The TOS aesthetics have probably long been refitted out.

3. On the contrary, I would rather tend to think the very fact that they used the registry from the Encyclopedia should lend more credence to the class designation from the same source.

Still, I am now a bit confused as to what this means regarding the Xhosa design from DS9, which had TOS-style computer interfaces and a dedication plaque designating it as Antares-class...

On the other hand, this point brings up again a question that has so far been skirted by us in our discussion of these "remastered" episodes: Are they actually to be taken as re-writing the canon account of things, superceeding the originals, or simply an interesting and fun diversion? Until more time passes, it's hard to tell.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.