Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "NX'd" TOS Enterprise from 2007 SOTL Calendar (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: "NX'd" TOS Enterprise from 2007 SOTL Calendar
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's not bad. It's also non-canon so I won't be vomiting anytime soon. If they replace the original TOS ship with this CGI version... I might kill a few executives.

He has talent... I just prefer to see a blending of TOS into ENT instead of the other way around.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how I feel about the ship, but I do have to say that along with one of "Vektor"'s vessels (his unfinished entry for the Titan design contest IIRC), this is one of the most unique-yet-still-Trek re-renditions of the classic form I've seen from fandom.

Given how many zillions of knock-offs have appeared over the years, that says a lot.

I just hope he fixes the dorsal saucer to conform more closely to the side drawing . . . as it is now it throws off the whole ship and makes it look ridiculous. But I have to admit that I fancy the rest of it . . . if they rebooted the franchise and made the ship look like that, I wouldn't freak out too much.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone displaying enough logic and wherewithal to incorpotate aft torpedo launchers has my vote.

The ventral saucer area (forward-facing), with the window rows, looks fucking great, very gill-like. Also, the "cowling" surface around the engineering-section, which the deflector protrudes from, nice (almost like glorious foreskin).
The nacelle pylons have never looked greater either, imo. Nor the nacelle endings, almost Cadillackian.

The exposed tops of the nacelles are a bit too gaudy (the intricate nacelle tips are enough) and the dildo-antenna in the deflector needs to go.
I also agree with that meddling Lee that the neck is a bit too ornamental (albeit stylish), and also too receded from the launchers.

I'd strongly like to see the Miranda class in this theme, yessum. More than I love taffy. And I do love my taffy...

[ October 25, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Nim ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't like it".

Seriously.

I agree it looks less like an "NX'd" Enterprise and more like an Eaves/E-E Enterprise.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It reminds me of the covers to the old James Blish "Star Trek Log" TAS novelizations. Y'know, paintings of the Enterprise done in the 1970s by artists in the days before reference photos were easy to come by, who were painting based on sketchy memories and the artistic trends of the days.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan Dean Foster wrote a lot of those. I'm not aware if Blish wrote any.

He did have some other Trek books from about that time though.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got any picture of THOSE versions?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Also, the "cowling" surface around the engineering-section, which the deflector protrudes from, nice (almost like glorious foreskin).
The nacelle pylons have never looked greater either, imo. Nor the nacelle endings, almost Cadillackian.

Probably the single creepiest thing you've ever posted.

Also: "Cadillackian" sounds like a TAS alien.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
"Cadillackian" sounds like a TAS alien.

*SMACK*

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
Probably the single creepiest thing you've ever posted.
Then you weren't here for the great Ayn Rand Wars, terrible lingo on both sides, terrible. Some nasty, weapons grade likenings used there.

Well, I knew a large percentage of the male US population snip themselves under the impression that it's hygienic and builds up the friction tolerance, so I thought I'd fly my colors, maybe someone would bite.
As for prepuce in ship design and art, I hate to shock you but it's old hat to Lynch, Giger and Bacon.

But alright, for the sake of conversation let's have alternatives. Lettuce-like cowling? Fresh, crispy lettuce. At least that'll give the Minbari-philes here a boner (oh no there I go again).

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least you managed to stay away from strange vagina comparisons...thus far, anyway.

...and yes, for the record, I have seen vaginas with radar dish(s) protruding from them, and no you dont want to hear about it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Alan Dean Foster wrote a lot of those. I'm not aware if Blish wrote any.

He did have some other Trek books from about that time though.

Oh, yeah, duh, wires crossed in my brain.

Anyway, Star Trek novel[ization]s from the 1970s with "artistic" cover art of just the Enterprise. (Before the movie poster style of Trek-based book covers caught on.)

--------------------

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

These are possibly the ones I'm thinking of:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/star-trek/

Notably:
* http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/star-trek/star-trek-7.htm
* http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/star-trek/star-trek-11.htm
* http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/star-trek/star-trek-lives-2.htm

Those are actually much better depictions of the Enterprise than I remember. Note the metallic sheen to it, though. I'll keep digging.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No, no...there are some "Trek" covers with weird shit that looks nothing like the Enterprise at all- I mean shit that is far less "Enterprise" than the NX-01 or that "phase 2 Enterprise" poster used to promote TMP.
Here. and here (top right corner) is what i mean.
Pretty much all of the "Best of trek" books are seriously drug induced....possibly they lacked the rights to use the ship's image or something.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, in the last book on that second link, the Enterprise is actually upside down.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps