Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Titan gets a face (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Titan gets a face
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is the Titan...

Well... I wish I'd gotten back on track early enough to know about this contest while it was still going on. As it is, it ended almost a month ago, and the winner leaves much to be desired, I think. But given the three runners-up, I'd say it's the least worst. Did anyone here actually submit to (or even know about) this contest?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The winner was announced in October 2005.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*runs and looks*

Jeez. Thanks, Masao. Back when I was busy not dying. Shows you how long it's been since I've hit some of these sites. I'm going to crawl off and die of embarassment now...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I dont exactly love it, the designer (he posts occasionally at SSM) has made some refinements that are slowly making it a nice class....I'll see if I can dig up the newest revision.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He can revise it all he likes, it'll always remain a fucking horrible cut'n'paste kitbash.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because no Starfleet ship has EVER resembled another. Ever.
MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the model being used on the front cover of the books is also fairly piss poor....but I digress....

M

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There're a couple threads about said model on TrekBBS. I must admit, compared to the runners up and to various other SUBMITTED designs, the winning ship isn't all that bad - it conforms well to the ship era and design aesthetic and doesn't push much.

Many of the NON-submitted designs I've seen totally rock, though. Total credit to the winner, but if the qualified community would have gotten off its collective butt and submitted some of the cool ones in time...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also wouldn't hurt to try a search once in a while: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/7/1540.html
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the general consensus in that thread, and to this day, is that it's a lazy, kitbashy design, but it was the lesser of what must've been umpteen evils.

quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
the model being used on the front cover of the books is also fairly piss poor....but I digress....

M

Did you tell the guy that in his SFM thread? [Big Grin]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't look like something Riker would grizz himself over.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
I think the general consensus in that thread, and to this day, is that it's a lazy, kitbashy design, but it was the lesser of what must've been umpteen evils.

quote:
Originally posted by MattC:

M

Did you tell the guy that in his SFM thread? [Big Grin]
Nah, that was my pal Simon. Alain might have made a few comments also.

The front end of the model is severely distorted around the saucer rim. And some of the details just suck ass.

M.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, it looks like an Ambassador that got stepped on while being humped by an Akira.

(But I probably shouldn't be anthropomorphizing ships like that.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop it your making me laugh!
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that's an ugly ship. I mean seriously ugly.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps