Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Gorn ship cgi! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gorn ship cgi!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like how the top set of nacelles looks different from the bottom set.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why does the screen cap from "Arena" look all blurry, but this image is so much better?
I'm guessing because they had to adhere to the scripted episode, which clearly stated that the Gorn ship was far away from them. I'm also guessing that even though that was the case, TPTB always intended to post the actual design on the internet anyway, to please us dorks. Keep in mind (now that I've seen the episode) that that blurry 'cap looks the way it does because the ship was only a speck on the viewscreen, and someone blew up the cap about 300% to make out the details. The ship looked as clear as day when it was the size of my pinky fingernail.

I hope the unfinished look of the model was because they knew it wasn't going to be seen up close, because I certainly hope the Antares & the Woden don't look that way.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its also possible that they weren't able to finish it on time and that's why it's used in the episode the way it is.

This is of course, an unlikely possibility.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sufficiently alien-looking and different to make me believe it, and make me look it over and ask "how does that son of a bitch work anyway?"

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I don't like how the top set of nacelles looks different from the bottom set.

Maybe the bottom set are back-ups while the top set are the main nacelles. As for the model being untextured, maybe it's supposed to be all white. Personally, I think it would look nice with a chrome finish!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it isn't green.....
[Big Grin]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gorn vessel seen before?? Hmm I'd LIKE to think that the creators of this ship are referencing a ship that could POSSIBLY be Gorn in "The Time Trap" TAS. There is a Gorn in the episode - so why not a Gorn ship:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Timetrap.jpg

The for naceller - with one at the back all connected to a boxy type structure in the middle - grey coloured - roughly in the top-middle of the pic.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might wanna look here too

http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/tas/tas.htm

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

This one: http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/tas/alien.jpg

Looks sorta like a TOS version of the Tamarian vessel from "Darmok" also reused as a vessel in DS9's season 1 can't remember who though.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also known as the Hopi class survey cruiser, at least if you ask Mark Wilson. Meet the Aliquippa.

And the Tamarian vessel, itself a modification of a Talarian design, was taken for a joyride by the Klaestron, the T'Lani, the Bothans and the Drayans at least... Bernd knows.

Seriously, the TAS artists had a sick fixation with Federation-style nacelles in that episode. Which is a bit surprising, seeing how nacelles are less of a fixture in other alien starship designs in that show. But the Gorn connection... Wow. Who in the remastering team was Trekkie enough to come up with that?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhhh the Klaestrons! That's who it was - I remember the ship was caught in a tractor beam.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:

Looks sorta like a TOS version of the Tamarian vessel from "Darmok" also reused as a vessel in DS9's season 1 can't remember who though.

Looks similar eh?

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/talarian-observation/drayan-model.jpg

Oh and - Just because they have Federation-esque nacelles doesn't mean they are Federation ships - or at least Starfleet ships!! Why'd that guy draw all those blueprints thinking they were Starfleet? There was only two Starfleet ships in that ep wasn't there? The Enterprise and the Bonaventure?

--------------------

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Looks like the Andorian vessel "Korvan" from Klingon Honour Guard:
 -

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hmmm - there is another ship in that ep that looks like the Adorian vessel from ENT.

--------------------

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time trap screen shot

That pink/purple thing lower right has got to be one of the most realistic looking Trek style designs yet! Two warp nacelles, a central hub which could contain a deflector and three spherical pressure hulls. Impulse drive is mounted behind the deflector. Marvelous. If real life FTL is achievable and uses two sled shaped generators mounted externally on scaffolds, we could be looking at the first starship.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps