Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's likely that Genesis had far less mass than a stable planet and that, as it sped through it's lifecycle, that lack of mass made it's orbit very erratic...
Who knows- maybe the protomatter/Reliant antimatter was serving as a gravitational attractor in liu of a huge iron core and the internals eventually consumed each other- making the planet go blooey.

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Yet what would be the odds of finding a Class M planet without microbes there?

Maybe as much as half if you arrive early in a planet's development (and if comets or God have not crashed into the planet to seed it with the proper organic potentials).
Ceti Alpha anything seems a BAD choice for this though...the science officer on Reliant needed a vacation or something.
Maybe he was a Pakled that got his position by affirmitive action.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe CA5 was class G.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although Regula probably wouldn't be considered a full-blown planet, it is at least roughly spherical. A planetoid which isn't entirely unlike the small moon on which the effect is simulated in the animation. I mean just so we're clear, when Spock calls Regula a great rock in space, it's not like Eros or one of those other weirdo potato-looking rocks.

However, as appealing as this idea is, I remain unconvinced that Regula was pulled into the creation of the planet. I feel strongly that the intent was that the Reliant and some perhaps substantial portion of the surrounding nebula went into forming the planet. That part of what went wrong with the Genesis effect later would have been due to it attempting to terraform a spaceship and adjacent gases and plasmas and stuff.

It's a wonder it worked at all, and perhaps Genesis's highly irregular orbit combined with the proto-matter and the bizzare ingredients of the new planet's core led to it's early demise. The screen caps to which G2K links above seem to imply that the dying planet is moving towards its star.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
However, as appealing as this idea is, I remain unconvinced that Regula was pulled into the creation of the planet. I feel strongly that the intent was that the Reliant and some perhaps substantial portion of the surrounding nebula went into forming the planet. That part of what went wrong with the Genesis effect later would have been due to it attempting to terraform a spaceship and adjacent gases and plasmas and stuff.

Not to dispute that this may have in fact been the case, but I'm pretty sure that the intent was that David's "cheating" use of protomatter was the reason that the experiment failed.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I meant the intent in TWOK was the nebula. I hesitate to speculate on the intent in TSFS, but yes, clearly the proto-matter was largely at fault.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I blame David's creepy curly perm.

Also, how did Carol Marcuse not know what David was up to?

Also, you'd think Genesis's destructive capibilities would be an anti-Borg option (though the possibility of the Borg getting the tech is pretty scary).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. If Protomatter is that dangerous, where are the Protom-Torpedoes? It was sure stable enough to survive a battle and was intended to be launched. Can you imagine beaming one into the middle of a Cube? yeah....and the Borg Queen gets "reordered" into Smurfette.....yeah....

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the impression protomatter's big problem is that it's unpredictable. Weapons need to be predictable.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The Trek Playstation game INvasion has Protomatter Torpedos.
Nothing special though...just a more powerful (and green!) Q-Torp.

I think it's more likely that Protomatter is really tough to deal with due to it's unstable nature (proving Omega's point, to some extent).
OTOH, desperate times and all that- the Manhattan Project guys really had no inking of their bomb's power.

If the Borg had assimilated Earth back in FC, there'd have been all kinds of desperate measures pulled out of starfleet's closet o' doomsday weapons.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a book that had a plotline that V-ger was actually found by the Borg homeworld and altered for its trip back to find Earth?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Why?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Also, you'd think Genesis's destructive capibilities would be an anti-Borg option (though the possibility of the Borg getting the tech is pretty scary).

Funny, never thought of that [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Wasn't there a book that had a plotline that V-ger was actually found by the Borg homeworld and altered for its trip back to find Earth?

I've never liked that idea since V'ger bears little in resemblence to anything the Borg could have built. Furthermore, V'ger came across a planet of living machines, which to me doesn't describe the Borg who are more or less half organic/half machine. I imagine something along the lines of android or highly andvance robots.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo...Cybertron.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Unicron.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps