Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You first.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Also, you'd think Genesis's destructive capibilities would be an anti-Borg option (though the possibility of the Borg getting the tech is pretty scary).

Funny, never thought of that [Wink]
All claim to a topic expires after two years- it's Public Domain now, Rev ol' chum. [Wink]

Besides, decades from now, when I'm completely cybernetic- and a ninja- I'll travel back in time to three years ago and whisper the idea in your head while you're sleeping.
(If I remember to- if not we'll never have this online conversation)
So, you see, you'd never have had the idea in the first place if I had not stolen it from you after you had it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
You first.

Hey I'm serious. A living machine planet populated by lots of smaller machines that equaite to parts of the larger organisum fits the profile allot more than just a planet populated by machines...and if it has the voice of Orsen Wells, so much the better.

quote:
All claim to a topic expires after two years- it's Public Domain now, Rev ol' chum.

Besides, decades from now, when I'm completely cybernetic- and a ninja- I'll travel back in time to three years ago and whisper the idea in your head while you're sleeping.
(If I remember to- if not we'll never have this online conversation)
So, you see, you'd never have had the idea in the first place if I had not stolen it from you after you had it.

Yes but before you did that, I travelled back in time and bribed the architect of your building to install a trapdoor right where you're sitting.
*pushes button*
Bye!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily for me, you did not take into account that I live on the ground level.
In Florida.
Now my feet are wet and there's water damage in my computer room- only a slight setback.

It would have been cool to have learned the first Decepticons were made as Unicron's immune system...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was falling into the sun?? The atmosphere might have been boiling away perhaps? Tidal forces ripping the planet apart?

Just one thing... The Genesis planet was made from a nebula and a starship was it not? There should still be the Planet Regula 1 (or was that the planet) that the station was orbiting. There was also Ceti Alpha V/VI... is this the same system - or Khan actually went to warp to get to the Genesis Project... I wonder how far apart the two were - there could have been something like 2 weeks travel time!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as discussed in the past two pages, the Genesis planet could have been made of a (blown-away) nebula and a (blown-up) starship, or it could have been made of a pre-existing planet in the system that held the rock named Regula and the space station named Regula I.

However, Ceti Alpha probably was at least a couple of star systems away, or else Starfleet wouldn't have dispatched a starship to seek out a lifeless planet for the Marcuses to experiment with...

The strange thing is, Kirk once again claims that the Enterprise is the nearest ship to Regula I - even though, for all we know, the ship has not engaged warp since leaving Earth. If the distances involved are that screwy, then there's little hope in telling anything definite about the location of Ceti Alpha, either.

(Okay, so perhaps the cadet ship did perform a warp jump or two when we weren't looking. It just looks funny the way it's played out, is all.)

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

And again, Earth is as defenseless in Trek as it is now...probably less so.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think the Xindi probe would have taught them better. Hell there isn't even a planetary shield.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Not even a mention of anyone having orbital defenses untill DS9...
The Borg just strolling into 001 was just...pathetic.
If they ever redo TNG's effects, they should REALLY have about a hundred more of those 'lil interceprors engage -and be wiped out by- the Cube.

Really, a lone Warbird could completely wipe out Earth in TNG's era.

"No moat...no fence...you couldn't keep a cow out of this place."

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small observation, but wouldn't Reliant have been closer to Regula than Enterprise? Keeping in mind that at that point they didn't know she'd been hijacked.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've always assumed Spacedock to be reasonably heavily armed. Seriously, that is an absolutely humongous facility by Star Trek standards. Surely some of it is dedicated to defense. Though of course that has nothing to say about the side of the planet Spacedock isn't currently orbiting on...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Not even a mention of anyone having orbital defenses untill DS9...
The Borg just strolling into 001 was just...pathetic.
If they ever redo TNG's effects, they should REALLY have about a hundred more of those 'lil interceprors engage -and be wiped out by- the Cube.

Really, a lone Warbird could completely wipe out Earth in TNG's era.

"No moat...no fence...you couldn't keep a cow out of this place."

Weren't there orbital defenses in The Motion Picture, but V'Ger absorbed them all?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Well, I've always assumed Spacedock to be reasonably heavily armed. Seriously, that is an absolutely humongous facility by Star Trek standards. Surely some of it is dedicated to defense. Though of course that has nothing to say about the side of the planet Spacedock isn't currently orbiting on...

Which is 100% of the time post-STIII.
Really...where could it have gone?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it could have been taken into the past to be used as a base of operations for a fight against the evil demi-gods of the week where it will turn out that Humans are really the ancestors of the Vulcans and wiped the Sleestak from their planet ages ago.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I do remember Spacedock after STIII but during Picard's time there was didley squat to protect Earth. Also, in Star Trek Enterprise, Archer and crew encounter several planets that employ some sort of orbital defense. I mean they even get caught in a Romulan minefield orbiting one of the Romulans' planet. You'd think of all the things they learned on their little trip, it would that orbital defenses would be good for Earth. As for the TNG era, I can't think of any excuse other that the fact that humanity seems to have devolved into a race of pussies with the occasional human being with balls coming up(like Picard, or Sisko, or Janeway.)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.