Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 2285: A Space Oddity (Genesis)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd hardly say Picard has BALLS. I'd say he has presence.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whereas kirk had a syrup.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be sure, there have been extremely few situations where we could have seen Earth's defenses in action.

In two of the movies, a super-entity neutralized defenses without a battle. In TNG, the Borg hit the Sol system, but the camera did not follow them: we only heard that an epic battle raged around Jupiter, and we never saw what sort of fight took place around Saturn (which the Borg were shown visiting). Hence, we can't say that nothing happened around Earth or that only three missiles happened around Mars merely because we saw nothing else.

In ST:FC, Earth defenses probably wouldn't have fired until the starships were out of the way. And the starships were more or less winning the fight already.

In DS9, a Breen fleet was cut to pieces so that it could barely pockmark a single city. I'd say there were defenses there...

It's just one of those Hollywood things. The Enterprise-D did have a big shuttlebay on the saucer, even though the camera never visited the facility. There were more than eight Borg aboard the E-E in ST:FC, and more than eight Klingons aboard Kronos One. So Earth probably had a dense swarm of orbital defense platforms, too.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps