Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$Orion ship in "Journey to Babel (Okay, get excited!)$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$Orion ship in "Journey to Babel (Okay, get excited!)$$$
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the preview for JTB on Startrek.com:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/26395.html

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/Orion.jpg

Besides the awesome new shuttlecraft landing, it looks like we get a new design for the "pinwheel-class" Orion ship, based on the "spinning glob of light" from the original footage! There's definitely a structure to it this time around, with what looks like a wheel with lights spinning around. Unfortunately, as in the original it zooms by so fast that it's hard to get a good glimpse of it (although I'm sure Startrek.com will be posting the pics of it soon). Yay!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've also got FTWIHAIHTTS and WNMHGB. It doesn't look like they had finished the effects for WNMHGB - the phaser blast at the end looked very... "un-enhanced"

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK just checked trekmovie.com and they've already aired.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That shuttle landing sequence is sweet!
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/858/babelshuttle.jpg

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! I wonder... are any of those shuttles erroneously labeled Galileo? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we can see the Columbus on the right there. What's the other one supposed to be?

All the effects look gorgeous(I don't often use that word about effects!), especially the shot of the 1701 in front of Yonada. It's almost totally spot on, just needs a little colour.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I was gonna start a thread on trek remastered but I got lazy. That orion ship is interesting but it kinda looks like the enemy ship from that show UFO.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Well we can see the Columbus on the right there. What's the other one supposed to be?

Copernicus was mentioned during TOS, IIRC...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only in TAS ("The Slaver Weapon").

We know from TOS-non-R that the crew kept painting the name Galileo to new craft after losing the predecessors. There's no real reason to be worried about Sarek's ride being the Galileo despite the fact that a craft of that name had already been lost at that point.

It would be a nice touch, though, if the VFX folks labeled this craft Galileo II in this episode already; in TOS-non-R, the II was only added as late as "Way to Eden".

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the adding of II was kinda dumb..

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have the efx video for "for the world is hollow...".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr9lbTm3b_A

Impressive detail on the Yonada although the "missiles" still look crappy, I don't blame the remastered team though.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reason the missiles look crappy is because they're emulating 60s-era effects. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A clearer pic of the Orion ship and two of the shuttles are on Trekmovie.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/01/31/new-images-from-journey-to-babel-remastered/

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Orion ship is simply great.

The shuttlebay... Well, the detail is delightful. And I can dig they would want to make the observation areas match the set from "Conscience of the King", although they could just as well have left those windows unaltered and instead placed the group of four windows at the front end of the bay (where we know there is an observation area, too, at least in ST5).

The shuttles are slightly odd, though, as the result of the scale difference between the prop and the set. How come the crew is able to see out (and be seen) through the front windows, when in "The Menagerie" it was confirmed the pilots sit well below window level? Do the pilots perhaps sit on telescoping chairs that are elevated for approach?

Timo Saloniemi

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

I love the fact that the Orion ship has a worn look, almost as though it's some sort of space jalopy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps